I would like to add to the “delay/response” list/discussion, and hopefully, someone may have found the problem. I’ve read a pile about “long delays”, complete hangs etc… I’ve also read where they are attempting to reproduce this and/or collecting data. For me the problem is:
File: Very short, 1 instrument sound clip.
Windows 10 latest update
Audacity 3.x? (latest I think)
The machine has piles of memory and disk space.
Note that my editing device is not the recording device. The editing device does not have a microphone (FWIW).
When ever I begin editing, there is a 3 - 5 second delay between mouse clicks. Something, has taken over and mouse events are being queued up. The mouse clicks are along the lines of: 1) Mark and select region, 2: Drop-down for “zero crossing”, 3) delete key and various combinations of things like this. I am not referring editing operations like adding reverb, or other types of processing. This is just simply finding pops and glitches, and trying to remove and align things.
Anyway, I don’t think I wrote this very well, but I am hoping that in conjunction with what other’s have posted it might shake something loose.
Audacity version: 3.0.4
Windows 10, 64bit, latest update.
I’ve already read the post you refer to; I think I’ve read them all… FWIW, Audacity doesn’t “crash” and I’ve never lost work or anything bad. It’s just a 5 second delay between mouse clicks while editing which makes the editing process time consuming and tedious. I guess it is worse for me, because I doing a lot of time-syncing between several instruments, so the editing process, is quite intense. Single instrument editing has the same issues but I have much less editing to do, so it doesn’t seem as bad.
I really wish I could recall when this began. I started with 2.x.x last year, and during that time there have been OS updates, and finally a update to 3.0.4 of Audacity, then more OS updates. I just can’t recall when it started happening. I am pretty sure it was there in 2.x.x and an unwanted windows update happened (which I couldn’t back out) and eventually noticed and realized this is not normal…
Since the mouse events are delayed or queued, I am thinking the delay is in a system call somewhere… Oh btw, rebooting doesn’t help. I think it is something that Audacity does, and windows changed how it implemented it or its behavior. Something Audacity calls in the OS, before and after each editing event/click/? (Ahhhh my former software days still at work
Is there anything else I can provide? I thought about a very short video clip from my phone or something showing the problem… would that help?
Any other suggestions as to where to look.
Does saving the project, closing Audacity, and then reopening the project make any difference?
After saving the project and closing Audacity, is the project AUP3 file about the right size for the audio in the project? Normally that’s around 10 MB per minute per audio channel, so a project containing one stereo track (2 channels) with 10 minutes of audio, should be about 10 x 2 x 10 = 200 MB.
Thank you both for you thoughts. I was just about to say that restarting doesn’t seem to change things… then I stopped typing and thought again. I think the best answer is that it doesn’t take long to get back into the same situation so I am not sure.
But I did discover today, that working with a single instrument does seem to exhibit the problem.
I need to spend more time diagnosing and not working.
While trying to make a simplified, smaller reproducible set of key strokes, I’ve found that I can’t get a repeatable series of keystrokes. Every time I reproduce it, quit without saving, start it again and do the same thing, it won’t fail in the same place, but happens later on. Once the failure begins, it is pretty much persistent.
Essentially, I have a mono click track (muted) which two guitar stereo classical guitar tracks recorded against. All I am doing it manually quanitisizing the two guitar tracks against the click track. Tools used, are select a very small section, zoom way in, adjust, select at zero and then either deleted, or use the change_temp tool to extend. Then I select a broader section and play it back listening or editing clicks…
Now long in, delays begin. Even just muting one track and enabling another shows the problem.
I can provide the file if you would like, but it doesn’t appear as though I can define a definite set of key strokes to make it fail every time.