Creating 8-hour long tracks to upload onto spotify

I am using Audacity 3.4.2 on my macbook. I have created an 8 hour track (white noise plus subliminal affirmations) that I would like to upload to spotify through DistroKid and I am having a lot of trouble. I haven’t been able to make the file small enough, the smallest I have gotten it is 1.3 GB as .AIFF file, Distokid has a 1GB max. Distrokid accepts the following file types: WAV, MP3, M4A, FLAC, AIFF, WMA
I am very new at this so any help is greatly appreciated, and even better if you can explain it like you’re talking to a kindergartener :slight_smile:
Thank you!!

There are 8-bits in a byte so for uncompressed files - File Size = Sample Rate x (Bit dept/8) x number of channels x Playing time in seconds.

i.e. CD audio is 44,100Hz x 16/2 x 2-channels = 176kB per second.

High-quality MP3 is about 1/5th the size of a CD quality WAV file, but MP3 works by throwing-away sounds you can’t hear so you may not want to use it for subliminals.

At lower bitrates it’s smaller. Bitrate (kbps) is kilobits per second so you can divide by 8 to get kilobytes per second

Spotify also uses lossy compression so you may lose the subliminal information anyway.

extreme” or “insane*” bitrate is required to preserve the high-frequency subliminal stuff
https://wiki.hydrogenaud.io/index.php/LAME#Technical_information

[ * appropriately enough ]

I googled Audacity present insane and found these directions, does this look accurate to you? " When you get the export screen up for selecting “MP3”, click on the “Options” button . 320 kbps is available in the “Presets” as “Insane”. The “Extreme (220 to 260 kbps)” preset is also excellent sound quality and worth trying."

I am nervous to publish to Spotify without knowing for sure that my recordings are “intact”

Make a short test recording, (1 minute would do), upload it to Spotify, then download/record from Spotify to see if it is “intact”.

It won’t actually matter if the recordings are not intact:
no-one can hear/understand so-called “silent subliminals” …

This topic was automatically closed after 30 days. New replies are no longer allowed.