Crackling using Blue Snowball Ice

I’m having the same issue with a Blue Snowball Ice. I realize it’s not the best mic for the job and I’ve ordered a new audiotechnica mic, but for now it’s what I’ve got. I get the crackling every minute or two. I’ve tried rebooting my computer and going straight to audacity and recording. Same issue. Then I disabled all my background apps, rebooted, and did the whole process again. Same issue. It’s a little frustrating. I can go back and rework the sections that are jacked because it’s usually less than a second, but it’s extra work that I’m not really interested in doing, making the process that much longer. I’m definitely going to try the USB thing and see.

I used to turn of my AC because the booth is near the AC unit. Then I discovered the noise reduction (don’t judge, I’m new at this) and realized I could keep the AC on and work in the booth, just taking the hum of the AC out later. That way it’s not as stifling in and out of the booth. However, the AC could be the issue couldn’t it? I do recall having the issue before but I wasn’t working at ACX specs so it didn’t matter much. Now it’s an issue because I’m trying to get some actual work done.

just taking the hum of the AC out later.

It’s not that easy. All Noise Removal does is automatically figure out precision filters and effects appropriate to the type of noise you have. That’s the Profile step. It also takes many of those sound tones out of your voice. The idea is to reduce the noise as much as you can before your voice falls apart.

It’s not a Get Out Of Jail Free card.

Worse, it’s on the list of tools ACX would just as soon you not use at all because of its problems and damage.

I don’t think you have the same problem. I think you may have the data problem I mentioned.

Audacity > Edit > Preferences > Recording > Audio To Buffer: [100]…

Change that number to a different value and see if the problem changes. Latency is a musical overdub setting and has nothing to do with this.

I’m half-way remembering this only affects the Mac people, but I can’t find the history of the problem. Give it a shot.

Koz

By the way, it’s a valid test if the noise gets worse. That means you’re on the right track. As you posted, you tried suppressing background activities and it didn’t do a thing.

Koz