Having trouble with Audacity 2.2.1 (and 2.2.0 before it) on Debian.
I have over 200 GB available on the hard drive in question. Standard permissions on my home directory. I open an MP3 file to edit. Choose “Save Project” from the file menu, place the file somewhere in my home directory. I get the following error message in a window:
“Could not save project. Perhaps [the file path in /home/] is not writable or the disk is full.”
I am able to continue editing and export the final product as a sound file of whatever format … but I can’t save the project (.aup file).
Sorry for the ambiguity. I was not trying to save in /home/ itself, I was trying to save in a subdirectory of my home directory. I have the normal read and write permissions. Other programs that I run, e.g. a text editor, are able to create and write files in the directory in question.
I followed your steps exactly, and was able to save the .aup file in ~/Desktop without any error.
I did a little further troubleshooting:
First, I exited the program and re-opened my-project.aup, everything worked as expected.
Second, I exited he program again. Restarted the program with a blank/new project. Imported (from the file menu) the original audio file in question, a 107 megabyte MP3 file. I tried to save the resulting project (two tracks, just under two hours) in ~/Desktop as my-project-2 . Got the same error.
Ok, I opened a similar but not identical file, an ~88MB MP3, stereo, approximately 1.5 hours. Imported into Audacity successfully. Did not do any actual editing. Save project, again a “simple” file name in the Desktop directory … same error.
P.S. I apologize that I can’t share the specific files for debugging purposes. The project involves editing down a recorded classroom session, with discussion etc., into a smaller file that’s just the main lecture. For privacy and other reasons, I can’t share the files.
Hi, sorry for the delay. The files are recorded on various devices, usually cell phones with some kind of tape recorder app, producing stereo mp3 files. I open them in Audacity, mix them down to mono and edit them down to particular segments to be exported as smaller, more compressed audio files. Again, I am able to export the resulting audio files, but am not able to save the project (so I have to start all over again if I exit Audacity).