Copy Envelope Scheme

Hi,
I created a project with a song and I elaborated an “envelope scheme” that I want to use to another song, in a new project.
There is a chance to save the “envelope scheme” and apply it to another song in a new project?

Thanks for the help!

See my reply here: https://forum.audacityteam.org/t/envelope-follower-ducker/47090/1

Hi Steve,

Don’t want to bug you but I am just trying to understand how this effect works. There are basically 3 controls to adjust the signal that is processed; Time Resolution, Control Range Min, and Control Range Max.

Does Time Resolution relate to how long of an audio section is being processed at a given time within the overall selection? It seems that the smaller the Time Resolution, the more detailed the results of the effect.

And do the Control Range Min and Max define the audio levels that will be looked at during the process; i.e., if min of 0.000 and max of 1.000, the whole wave is processed; If min of 0.000 and max of 0.250, then the lower 25% of the wave is being looked at. And likewise, if 0.900 min and 1.000 max, then only the top 10% of the wave is considered.

Thanks for your help.

Mike

Yes, that’s what it means.

Yes, but it is referring to which part of the upper track (the “control track”) is used.

If, for example, the upper track has a peak amplitude of 0.8, then we will probably want to scale the dynamic envelope such that 0.8 in the control track gives maximum level in the track that is being changed. To do that, you would set “Control Range Max” to 0.8.

Conversely, if we want the processed track to be silent except for where the control track goes above 0.5, then we would set the “Control Range Min” to 0.5.

4 if you include the choice between Peak & RMS.
If you want envelopes to match choose Peak, (not RMS).

Steve,

You asked at one time if anyone wanted to put documentation together in the Nyquist Format for dynamic-mirror. I took a stab at it below. Note that I did not test all the options but used the comments that you had in various posts along with comments of Trebor. Also, I am still new to this and don’t have a handle on all the proper terms that you might normally use. At any rate, see below and let me know if this is helpful or not.

Mike

Dynamic-Mirror

(dynamic-mirror.ny)

Author: Steve Daulton

Dynamic Mirror is used to mirror the dynamics of one track onto another track(s) It can act as an Envelope Tool, a Ducking Tool, a Compressor, or an Expander. It currently works on up to a 30 minute audio selection. To process longer selections, apply the effect on multiple selections.

The Effect Controls include the following options:

• Follow the peak or RMS (Root Mean Square) Level of the first selected audio track.

• Follow the first selected track as a Mirror or as an Inverse (ducking).

• Time Resolution (0.010 to 10 seconds) – the time resolution should be considerably shorter than the length of the selection. The absolute minimum allowed is one-half the length of the selected audio. The smaller the Time Resolution, the more exact the processing that is applied to the audio. The larger the Time Resolution, the more smoothing that is applied to the audio.

• Control range min (amplitude): (0.000 to 1.000)

• Control range max (amplitude): (0.000 to 1.000)

Tips:

• The Control Track is the first track in the selection and is used to process the selected tracks that follow it.

• If only one track is selected, the plug-in “follows” the amplitude of the selected track, and then applies that envelope to the same track.

• If multiple tracks are selected, the plug-in “follows” the amplitude of the selected track, and then applies that envelope to all other selected tracks (but not the first track).

• The Min and Max Range refer to which part of the Control Track is used to process the other tracks.

• For example, if the first selected track has a peak amplitude of 0.8, then you will probably want to scale the “dynamic envelope” such that 0.8 in the Control Track corresponds to the maximum level in the track that is being processed. To accomplish that, you would set “Control Range Max” to 0.800.

• If you want the processed track to be silent except for when the Control Track goes above 0.5, then you would set the “Control Range Min” to 0.500.

• If the effect is applied to a duplicate of the Control Track, it will compress or expand the dynamic range depending on the settings. An initial starting point for the settings to accomplish a compression would be: RMS, Inverse (ducking), Time Resolution 0.500, Control range min 0.200, and Control range max 0.600.

• To expand the dynamic range, settings could be Peak, Mirror, Time Resolution 0.333, Control range min 0.000, and Control range max 0.500.

• De-essing can be accomplished by using the Spectrogram view and selecting the excessively sibilant frequencies, (6.5kHz -12kHz ) with the following settings: Peak, Duck, Time Resolution 0.010, Control range min 0.000, and Control range max 1.000.

• When applied to itself (the Control Track) with settings similar to the following, it can be used to remove heavy breath sounds from the track: Peak, Mirror, Time Resolution 0.500, Control range min 0.000, and Control range max 0.050.