connection problems with turntable and phono pre-amp

This may be a very basic question, but this is my first time trying to digitize records. I have a Pyle Pro PADRI3 pre-amp connected with RCA cables to a Fisher MT-M44 turntable (ie. an old one, from the 70s I think), and the pre-amp connected to my 2007 Macbook running Snow Leopard 10.6.8 via USB. I think everything is connected correctly, but the problem is I don’t appear to have any input sound. When I set an album playing and hit “record,” there’s no sound and I get a flat blue line in Audacity’s display (by the way, I’m using version 1.3.14). And I do have Audacity’s input set to my USB device, so that’s not it. Does anyone have an idea of what could be going wrong?

Thanks!

P.S. I’ve looked at Audacity’s manuals/tutorials and have also browsed extensively through forum posts, but couldn’t find anything

There is some troubleshooting to do. The Pyle has a headphone connection. Try that.

I’m just reading this again. Are you sure the RCA connections are to plug something in and not another way to get audio out? Real phono preamps have three connections, not two. RCA Left, RCA Right and the shield/ground/earth connection.

Turntables hum without that third wire.

Koz

Update! Update!

The Pyle appears to have a Stereo Line-In connection. That’s to connect your tape machine, cassette machine, tuner or iPod to your system. Not another turntable. If you do get any audio out of what you have, it’s likely to be very low and sound squeaky.

The audio out of a classic turntable isn’t “real” sound until it’s gone through a preamp. Vinyl sound is intentionally distorted.

Koz

Thanks for your replies, Koz. I’m still confused, though (like I said, I’m new at this). The cable I’m using has left and right RCA connections on both ends – according to the instructions that came with the pre-amp, I’m supposed to plug one set into the pre-amp and the other into the turntable. You say a “real phone pre-amp” is supposed to have a “shield/ground/earth connection” – what would that look like?

And when you say:

The Pyle appears to have a Stereo Line-In connection. That’s to connect your tape machine, cassette machine, tuner or iPod to your system. Not another turntable. If you do get any audio out of what you have, it’s likely to be very low and sound squeaky.

Do you mean that the setup I have isn’t intended to be used with a turntable? I bought the pre-amp specifically to help me digitize records, and it says on the box you can “easily convert your vinyl records and audio to your computer via a simple USB connection.” Guess it’s not so easy :slight_smile:

I’m wondering if it couldn’t be a computer or software issue. I noticed my Mac doesn’t seem to detect the pre-amp when I plug it in via USB – doesn’t register as a connected device.

Sorry for all the questions…I really appreciate your time!

Janie

I’ve just looked up the manual for the Pyle Pro PADRI3 pre-amp and it is disturbingly vague. Like Koz I get the impression that the RCA inputs on the PADR13 are designed for “line level” signals, but the manual does not actually say what signal level is required, it just says “for cassette deck, turntable or audio device”.
Some turntables have “line level” outputs, but most, particularly older hi-fi turntables don’t and require a “phone pre-amp” (which I assume is what you thought you were buying).

So that we can see what we are dealing with, please try this as a test.
Set Audacity to record from the USB device and attempt to record a short section from your turntable. Then use the Amplify effect (in the Effect menu) with the default settings. Does the recording remain as a flat line or does some bad quality audio appear?

Some turntables have “line level” outputs, but most, particularly older hi-fi turntables don’t and require a “phone pre-amp” (which I assume is what you thought you were buying).

The Pyle Pro PADRI3 says on the packaging that is a “phono pre-amp.” Unless I’ve been a victim of misleading marketing, or mine is somehow different from a typical phono pre-amp, I’m assuming what I have is the right equipment for what I’m trying to do (I hope!)

So that we can see what we are dealing with, please try this as a test.
Set Audacity to record from the USB device and attempt to record a short section from your turntable. Then use the Amplify effect (in the Effect menu) with the default settings. Does the recording remain as a flat line or does some bad quality audio appear?

I tried this…the flat blue line does turn into a waveform, but all I hear when I play it is static. I don’t know if that gives you any information about my problem…

Thanks for trying to help me figure this out.

Is this the device? http://www.pyleaudio.com/sku/PADRI3/Phono-Pre-Amp-with-USBRCA-PCMAC-Audio-Converter

If it is, have you tried plugging headphones into it? Can you hear the music through your headphones while playing a record?

Yes, that’s it. And I have tried with headphones, adjusting the volume on both the turntable and the pre-amp (which has its own volume control), but I’ve never been able to hear anything. Maybe I have a defective product.

That is a distinct possibility. The problem is obviously before the signal ever gets to the computer.

For future reference for anyone else who has a problem like this, I figured it out! The double-sided RCA cord that came with the phono pre-amp was my problem. I did not need to use it to connect my pre-ramp to my turntable, rather, I needed to use the one-sided RCA cord that is already connected to the turntable, and plug that into the pre-amp instead. Problem solved!