Click Record - New Track, but not recording

I’m pretty new to Audacity on my Ubuntu machine (ubuntu 11.04, Audacity 1.3.13-beta).
When I open audacity and click the red record button, a new track is created, but transport immediately stops, and there is no recorded audio.

I can import a track (say, from a .wav file) and then try to record something over it. I get the same “new blank track” phenomenon.

Occasionally, it does pop up with a dialogue that says:
“”
“Latency problem”
Latency Correction setting has caused the recorded audio to be hidden before zero.
Audacity has brought it back to start at zero.
You may have to use the Time Shift Tool (<—> or F5) to drag the track to the right place.
“”

My latency correction is set to -39ms, and my Audio to buffer is set to 250ms.

Any help getting going on this great software would be very appreciated. Thanks!

Sam

Sorry but there is no support for obsolete versions of Audacity (see the pink panel at the top of this page). Also Canonical dropped support for Ubuntu 11.04 two years ago.

I suggest you update to Ubuntu 14.04 (which gives you a packaged version of Audacity 2.0.5) then install Pulse Audio Volume Control from “Ubuntu Software Centre”. Then select the input you want to record from in Pulse Audio Volume Control and select the “pulse” recording device in the second box in Audacity’s Device Toolbar .

Set a sensible project rate bottom left of Audacity like 48000 Hz or 44100 Hz. Your “Audio to buffer” setting ought to be high enough to ensure you can record, but you can always set it higher. If you have “Software Playthrough” on in the “Transport” menu, try turning it off. If software playthrough is on, the buffer is set very short and the “Audio to buffer” setting is disregarded.

For recordings where you don’t want to listen to a previous track, does it help to turn “Overdub” off in that menu?

If you need more help with 2.0.5, please post the information from Help > Audio Device Info… . Also tell us exactly what you trying to record, and the make and model numbers of your microphone or other equipment.

Gale