Hhhh…Man oh man, this one here is driving me bonkers, guys. I know there has to be a way to do this, as I’ve seen people saying it could be done with Audacity. Been using it for 3 years now for a host of different things, but never had a use for syncing and FPS issues until now.
I am starting to think that one needs to be Euclid, Isaac Newton, Max Plank or Albert Einstein, because I have literally tried everything and this damn audio is just won’t sync up.
So here is the deal: When I lay the audio onto it it’s about 6 seconds out of sync. The audio is AHEAD of the video. Starts out fine in the beginning of course, but then the video falls behind. So, I thought it would be as easy as just delaying the audio by seconds which sometimes works just fine for some movies, some it won’t work…well, this is one of those that wont work. If I do that, the beginning is out of sync, but the 3/4 to end mark is just fine (face palm). Did a bunch of tinkering around with the stretching of the vid/audio for hours and nothing helps. Then I realized Audacity has much better tools for this.
The movie has a run time of 1:32:13.961 w/ a 29.970 framerate. The audio has a length of 1:32:07.488. You can clearly see the 6 second drift issue now based on those times. So I opened Audacity, went to the Change Tempo option, did the whole 1.198 tempo change that many were saying to do. That just won’t work, and when I mux the audio into the vid container and give it a go, the video is still behind by 6 seconds late into the movie. Uherr? Ok, so I then do a delay to the audio by 6 seconds and now it’s even worse than when I did that the first time. Just not getting it what the deal is. I did everything I was told to do by people who sure seemed to know their stuff with all of that.
Tried also to change the FPS of the video from 29 to 25 (in more a soft manner via an editor). All that accomplished was slowing it down too much into a quasi-slow motion effect. Did that initially AND with audacity after messing with the audio and no go again.
Searched the forums, found some people and admins talking about a lot of stuff that went right over my head, but got the gist of it with the whole Sliding Time Scale and using a 4.095 on the tempo setting. Really thought that would work after waiting 20 mins for it do its thing and nope. Yet again, out of sync by 6 seconds. I mean, how can this possibly be happening? It’s like something out of Lost when the whole time shifting thing was going on. I mean, I understand part of the problem is between the monitor and the chair too, as I am not expert at all with math, but good grief, how difficult can it be?
One thing I did notice though, is when I did the first Tempo change I previously mentioned, it drops the audio time by about a minute (shows it immediately at the bottom in the little graph before I export it). Well, that’s way too much. The difference is only 6 seconds, not a minute. It was even worse with the Sliding Scale, went down to 1:28 (just over 4 mins). Eeesh. I am sure the full audio was there, but that definitely explains a lot why it won’t properly sync. Funny thing is, when I hover over the vid file in explorer BEFORE making a 6 second delay, the time shows as 1:32:19 (this is without any Audacity usage). Then AFTER I do the 6 second delay (using MKVTOOLnix) it shows as 1:32:13. Yep, 6 seconds. I see that and get all excited, only to skip to the 3/4 mark and see that it’s out of sync yet again. Tried all of that again after doing everything I explained after using Audacity, and yeah, you guessed it, out of sync.
So can you guys please save me from having an aneurysm here, because I feel it’s about to happen as this driving me insane