Can't Record

I have been using Audacity for about a month now. Up until about a week ago no problems. But, about a week ago, I would record one side of an LP, hit the pause button and try to record the second side. But, all I would get is a straight line. I would try different settings but nothing seemed to help other than shutting Audacity down and rebooting. Now that isn’t even helping. I can’t record at all. Diagnostics do show an error. (see below) So, I tried uninstalling and reinstalling. Still nothing. BTW: version 2.3.0

10:39:02: Audacity 2.3.0
10:39:02: Trying to load FFmpeg libraries…
10:39:02: Trying to load FFmpeg libraries from system paths. File name is ‘avformat-55.dll’.
10:39:02: Looking up PATH environment variable…
10:39:02: PATH = ‘C:\WINDOWS\system32;C:\WINDOWS;C:\WINDOWS\System32\Wbem;C:\WINDOWS\System32\WindowsPowerShell\v1.0;C:\Program Files\Common Files\Roxio Shared\DLLShared;C:\WINDOWS\System32\OpenSSH;C:\Users\Bob\AppData\Local\Microsoft\WindowsApps;’
10:39:02: Checking that ‘’ is in PATH…
10:39:02: FFmpeg directory is in PATH.
10:39:02: Checking for monolithic avformat from ‘avformat-55.dll’.
10:39:02: Error: Failed to load shared library ‘avformat-55.dll’ (error 126: The specified module could not be found.)

Audacity checks for the FFMpeg software to give it additional abilities to handle different sound formats. You can make that error go away by installing FFMpeg.

Scroll down in that page to optional downloads.

If you’ve been doing this for weeks, did you fill up your hard drive?


So, yesterday before posting, I restored my operating system to a restore point before this all started. NO LUCK Same problem.
I rebooted several times, still no luck.
This morning without doing anything, I opened Audacity and it worked fine while I recorded the first album.
Then when I went to do the second album same problem. When you go to record, just a flat line and nothing being recorded.
So, I logged here and saw the suggestion to download the mpeg file. I installed it. NO LUCK
Rebooted still NO LUCK.
Error message in the log file is:
Error: Couldn’t find symbol ‘avutil_version’ in a dynamic library (error 127: The specified procedure could not be found.)
10:54:29: Error: Couldn’t find symbol ‘avcodec_version’ in a dynamic library (error 127: The specified procedure could not be found.)
10:54:29: avformat not monolithic

BTW, plenty of hard drive space. When I say using it for a month, I probably haven’t averaged one album every second day or so, even less since this problem started.