Can't import WAV file

When I try to import some wav files it won’t let me. I need to convert these files to MP3. I select import audio and it comes up with a message that says Audacity attempted to use FFmpeg to import an audio file but the libraries were not found. Then it comes up with another message that says Audacity did not recognize the file type. If it is uncompressed try importing it using raw data. I do that and the file imports but as a buzzing track.

The audio I’m trying to import is an audio book recorded at a local radio station.

Any help would be much appreciated!

In that case the file is not a WAV file (or not a valid WAV file).
See here for how to install FFmpeg: Audacity Manual

and you bought it as a 4 GB WAV file on a USB memory stick?
If you just saved an on-line link, then it may not even be an audio file.

Traditionally, computer files have used a three-letter extension to tell you what kind of file it is. Also traditionally, Windows hides it. You can tell Windows to show you file extensions to at least give you an idea of what you have.

Hidden File Extensions - Windows
– Start > My Computer > Tools > Folder Options > View > [ ] Hide Extensions for Known File Types (deselect)
– Apply (to this folder) or Apply to All Folders
– OK

It may turn out that your AudioBook.wav file(s) are really AudioBook.wma (Windows Media) or other file type.

In any event, installing ffmpeg isn’t that big a deal.

You are warned though, that saving an MP3 from a WAV file creates some small sound damage (MP3 always does this), creating an MP3 from an already compressed sound file (like WMA) can greatly increase the compression sound damage.

You might contact the station and see what they did; if they still have the WAV files there. If WAV delivery is part of your contract, you may have grounds for a significant beef with them.

Koz

Or it could be a WAV file containing a lossy format like MP3. WAV is a container format so there is nothing invalid about it containing MP3, but the standard WAV importer Audacity uses does not understand such a file.

If you want to know what the file is for sure, you can use “MediaInfo” from MediaInfo - Download MediaInfo for Microsoft Windows. Get the version without installer, because the installer may have malware or adware.

Gale