Can't import MP3's on PPC Mac[fixed in 2.0.1]

Dual 2GHz G5
OS-X 10.4.11
Audacity 2.0.0

Right-Click on Levaya_H_Pollock_orig.mp3 > Open With > Audacity.

BAM!

“The Application Quit Unexpectedly…”

The 37 minute show opens normally with FFMpeg Import.

Koz

A few minutes ago I tried the FFmpeg-compatible import option and got the same crash and error.

On a hunch, I downloaded “FFmpeg_v0.6.2…,” manually redirected Audacity to that version of the FFmpeg library (it claimed it had already auto-detected a valid library), and tried the “FFmpeg-compatible” import - and it worked! So thanks for that suggestion.

BTW, both my G5 and my eMac (G4) are running Leopard (10.5.8), not 10.4.x. (I do have access to a G4 running 10.4, FWIW. Let me know if you’d like me to coax my coworker away from his desk for a few minutes.)

Thanks for testing. I would assume you’d see the same crash on that G4. It would only be interesting if it did not crash, which would suggest PPC Mac isn’t the problem in itself.

Gale

This should now be fixed in our development code, so should be fixed in the next 2.0.1 release.

Can you please test in our latest 2.0.1 alpha Nightly Build at the top of this list:
http://www.audacity.homerow.net/index.php?dir=mac/&sort=date&order=desc ?

Thanks,

Gale

Does Bill or Koz have access to a PPC Mac to test this, please ?

Thanks,

Gale

Sorry for the delay! I’m in the throes of an annual fundraiser. You guys have been really great with your support and responsiveness, and I should have taken care of this right away.

I just downloaded the nightly build onto my G5, but I can’t get it to launch. Double-clicking on the app icon does nothing - I don’t get that expanding ghost image of the icon, and nothing appears on the dock. (I guess the good news is that it doesn’t crash!) When I right-click on an audio file, Audacity 2.0.1.0 appears as an option with which to open it, but, again, nothing happens.

I’ve got to run, but I’ll try to check Console later, in case there’s anything of note. I also haven’t tried logging off and back on FWIW.

Follow-up: Console log says “bad CPU type in executable.”

6/13/12 8:45:17 AM com.apple.launchd[100] ([0x0-0x149149].net.sourceforge.audacity[2345]) Exited with exit code: 126 
6/13/12 8:45:19 AM [0x0-0x14a14a].net.sourceforge.audacity[2348] /Applications/Audacity 2.0.1/Audacity.app/Contents/MacOS/Audacity.sh: line 21: /Applications/Audacity 2.0.1/Audacity.app/Contents/MacOS/Audacity: Bad CPU type in executable

Perhaps the “ub” in the filename doesn’t stand for “Universal binary.”

However, I do have good news. The executable which failed this morning was the most recent nightly (apparently from 6/10). Back on May 26 I also downloaded 2.0.1.0, and I just tested that build. Success!

Levaya_H_Pollock_orig.mp3 imports fine on my G5 with 2.0.1-alpha June 14.

– Bill

We only make available universal binaries meant for both PPC and Intel Mac.

There is another nightly build here for the 14th http://www.audacity.homerow.net/cgi-bin/dl?mac/audacity-nightly-2012.06.14-03.15/audacity-macosx-ub-2.0.1.dmg . Is it possible to see if that one launches, please?

Thanks for testing, (and Bill). I’ve closed that bug now.

Gale

It both launches and imports the MP3. Magnifique!