Cant get audacity to launch[SOLVED]

Ive tried the previous instructions like adding folder and changing .txt to .cfg and it STILL wont open. I have 10.8.2 and a ton of plugins
. Someone please help! Thanks Darrell

Please follow the instructions here (where it says “VST/Audio Units Plug-ins”). You may have not done something correctly. There is a more step-by-step version you can try at .

If the problem continues after ensuring you followed those steps, please attach the Mac crash report. Please see here for how to attach files .


Thanks for the fast reply! I will try and post the results.

Hi, same problem for me: can’t get audacity to launch. Mac OS 10.8.3 Mac pro quad core 2x3GHz, and a bunch of plug-ins and instruments installed. Is there any easy way to disable them? I tried to follow the instructions below and it doesn’t solve the pb. Please find attached the crash report. Thank you in advance for your help.
Audacity crash report 27042013.txt (112 KB)

Thanks for the report.

The “B4 II” Audio Unit is crashing at the top of the report. Audacity is finding this at:

 /Library/Audio/Plug-Ins/Components/B4 II.component/Contents/MacOS/B4 II

But you also have Waves Audio Unit plug-ins which would almost certainly crash Audacity if B4 had not already done so. :cry: These are at:

/Library/Audio/Plug-Ins/Components/WaveShell-AU 9.0.component/Contents/MacOS/WaveShell-AU

And you have Guitar Rig 3 at:

 /Library/Audio/Plug-Ins/Components/Guitar Rig 3.component/Contents/MacOS/Guitar Rig 3

which is another plug-in that is listed in the Release Notes as likely to crash Audacity. :cry: :cry:

So your first step may be to open Finder, Go > Go to Folder then type:


Then move these folders:

  • Guitar Rig 3.component
  • WaveShell-AU 9.0.component
  • B4 II.component

to some other location such as a private folder of yours where Audacity won’t find them. This assumes you can tell other software that uses those plug-ins where they have moved to.

Otherwise, leave those three folders where they are. You will need to force quit Audacity and edit audacity.cfg as already described so as to disable Audio Unit support in Audacity. Just follow the steps already given in . If you have already followed those steps, you did not do it quite right, so please try again.


thanks a lot Gale: I replaced the content of the audacity.cfg file as recommended, and this time it worked. I’m now ready to explore all these interesting audacity features. Thank you again for your help!