Cant Find/Add RMS Normalise plug in

Hi,

Im using OSX 10.11.6 and I’m constantly failing ACX check with my RMS levels. I have heard that there is an RMS Normalise plug in, which allows you to set the required level to avoid the issues I am having.

I have downloaded it, dragged it into the audacity file under app support (its alongside ACX Checker, which i have successfully added) but when I go to effects , add etc it does not appear. I dont have a plug in folder under Audacity support, but I have put the RMS download in the same folder as ACX checker, which has attached fine.

Any help gratefully received.

After you get RMS Normalize, make sure your Mac didn’t “help you out” by renaming it. Right-click or Control-Click the file > Get INFO. That will tell you the actual name of the file and give you the opportunity to change it back. It’s not supposed to have .txt on the end.

Screen Shot 2019-01-11 at 03.26.43.png
Then, after you get that sorted, use Effect > Add/Remove plugins to make sure audacity can use it.

We publish an audiobook mastering process.

https://forum.audacityteam.org/t/audiobook-mastering-version-4/45908/1

It’s three steps and if you record in a quiet room, that could be all you need.

Koz

Hi Koz

Thanks for your reply.

I’ve checked and its still called RMS-Normalise.ny but it doesnt show up when I go to effects/add plug ins. ( It doesnt show up on the list. )

I dont have a folder called plug ins under audacity it just goes LIBRARY/APP SUPPORT/AUDACITY and then I find a a window with a libs (?) folder and ACX checker and RMS Normalise in it. The ACX Checker shows up fine under when I go EFFECTS/Add plug ins ?

Wrong folder.

Go > Go to Folder.

Screen Shot 2019-01-11 at 03.57.43.png
Don’t leave out the “~/”.

Koz

The ACX Checker shows up fine under when I go EFFECTS/Add plug ins ?

ACX Check should show up under Analyze, not Effects.

Screen Shot 2019-01-11 at 4.11.36.png
Koz

Thanks Koz, got it !
Yes, ACX is under Analyse not Effects :slight_smile:

Is RMS Normalise something I can substitute for Normalise ?

Is RMS Normalise something I can substitute for Normalise ?

Maybe. Both effects are simply volume changes with different “target” methods. If you want to cut the RMS level by -3dB you could use the Amplify effect at -3dB.

The RMS & peak both change by the RMS & peak by the same amount… If you cut the RMS level by -3dB the peaks will also be reduced by -3dB. RMS Normalization is a little more “dangerous” because it doesn’t warn you about clipping.

RMS Normalization is a little more “dangerous” because it doesn’t warn you about clipping.

Which is why it appears prominently in the middle of Audiobook Mastering. The tools clean up after each other.

Did I mention we publish an audiobooking mastering suite of tools?

"Suite " as in Harmonious Grouping.

Mastering 4 starts with a raw reading and produces a guaranteed match to two out of three ACX specifications and leaves the dog barking next door up to you. Meeting ACX Noise is responsible for most ACX Check failures. ACX -60dB Noise in English means your room noise has to be a thousand times quieter than your voice when you record. That’s hard to do in most houses.

ACX Human Quality Control hates Noise Reduction software.

Home Recording is not for the easily frightened.

Koz