Can't figure out what's wrong

I’m using Audacity 3.0.2 on a Windows 10 Dell PC.

I thought I had figured out how to use my H2 microphone with Audacity. The only unusual setting is that both H2 and Audacity need to be set to 48,000 Hz, or the cursor won’t move.

Last time I used these settings it worked fine; now the cursor moves as if recording, but the clip is silent. Ideas?

2022-01-11_13-24-57.png

PS in the Control Panel, the H2 is set as the default mic, and over-ear headphones set at default speakers.

Is this a Zoom H2? H2n by any chance? Both terrific recorders. The H2 has the advantage of being historically legendary and I believe are still selling for original prices on eBay. A favorite performer of mine launched his career with an H2 (no n). I use and like my H1n.

I can solve all your computer recording problems. Stop recording on the computer. Use the Zoom as a stand-alone recorder. When you get a perfect, correct (raw) sound track, move it over to the computer for editing.

That also gives you a backup track if Audacity Hindenburgs in the middle of editing and flushes your files.

I think you can use the USB connection as a charger so you don’t have to keep connecting and disconnecting it to transfer sound files over. That and you won’t need batteries, although I would totally keep fresh batteries in. Some recorders use batteries as part of their technical services whether you’re using them to record or not.

Audacity 3.0.2 on a Windows 10 Dell PC.

The current Audacity is 3.1.3. There were some very serious problems with early version 3 releases.

I’m going to check this in a second, but the recorder will send you confirmation voice in real time with the headphones connection. Highly recommended. I swear I checked this once, but I’m going to do it again.

Koz

That’s Josh’s H2.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QcVec_RPwuc

Koz

Yes, I’ve got an original H2! (Don’t see no n.) I think I got it around 2011. It’s a gem.

I’ll try updating Audacity. Why I like recording into Audacity is I can see what’s happening. I can stop and catch a problem right then, edit, delete, re-record. If I want it to sound like there’s no break, it’s easier for getting the breathing and tone of voice right when done on the spot.

I’ve done a lot of recording using Audacity and a C1U desk mic (8 books, hundreds of podcasts). I’d like to start using the H2 instead if I can. Well, I’ll let you know if the update fixes the problem. Thanks as always for your help.

Isn’t there a microphone gain control on the H2?

I had the idea of trying to use the H2 to record in Windows Voice Recorder. It told me I had to enable the mic in Settings. Settings showed that it was already enabled for Audacity (and when I opened Audacity it recognized the H2, just wouldn’t use it).

But after I enabled the H2 for Voice Recorder, it now works in Audacity!

…mysteries…

Jademan, there is a mic gain control on the side of the H2. I have it set to M, which got the best results when I tested the setup in June.
The soundwaves in the little window have been responding all along to voice, taps, etc. all along.

My fine little H2, showing some of its many miles:

20220111_164213.jpg
2022-01-11_16-30-51.png

My fine little H2, showing some of its many miles:

Successful equipment has little or no paint left, you can’t read the knobs and dials any more and you can’t have it right now because it’s out on a job.

A friend of mine used that for a voice track on a cigarette boat race in Florida’s Biscayne Bay.

Screen Shot 2022-01-11 at 14.42.41.png
It’s still running.

Koz

LOL. and what a boat!
I can still dimly see that the volume knob goes to 11…
Thanks again for your help!