For work related reasons, I use the zip install of audacity on a USB stick. I want to use the plugins relating to levelling out audio (Level Speech, Chris’ Dynamic Compressor) but nothing is working. The only feedback I get, if I get any at all, is a prompt that says “Reply from Nyquist:” with some decimal value.
The debug button pops up with error: unbound function - DB-TO-LINEAR in the case of Level Speech 2.
I have heard this is related to installation issue from long ago forum posts. I have used a fresh install of 3.0.2 and this issue will not resolve.
Non-Nyquist plugins do not have any such problems.
I would appreciate any assistance in dealing with this bug greatly.
When using “Portable Settings”, the plug-ins should be placed in "\Portable Settings\Plug-Ins".
You may also need to check in the Plug-in Manager that the enabled plug-ins actually exist in the location specified in the plug-in manager. That could get messed up if you run the USB version of Audacity on a computer that already has Audacity installed.
I wasn’t but now I am and unfortunately it’s introduced frequent application freezing (seemingly at random) and the bug remains unchanged. I removed the non-portable settings in appdata but this didn’t solve anything unfortunately.
If you prefer to use Audacity 3.x, use the latest version (currently Audacity 3.0.2, though Audacity 3.0.3 is due to be released soon), and format the USB drive to NTFS rather than FAT. (The FAT file system is very old and has limitations that can cause problems for Audacity 3.x).
Open up the folder on the USB stick that contains “audacity.exe” and add an empty folder. Rename the empty folder to “Portable Settings”.
When you next launch Audacity, it will use the “Portable Setting” folder for it’s settings. If ever you need to reset Audacity back to factory defaults, just delete the Portable Settings folder and replace it with a new, empty Portable Setting folder.
Depending on your Windows security settings, you may still need to mess around with setting necessary “permissions” to allow Audacity access to audio devices and file access for saving / exporting and writing temporary audio data.
Thank you steve. Unfortunately, I already was using 2.4.2 and tried those exact steps earlier. I’ll try them again. This is a work device I don’t have administrator access to, so it’s quite likely it’s a security settings issue.