Cannot select more than one track

Hi and thanks for the opportunity to voice my problem.

I cannot seem to select more than one track in Audacity 2.4.2. All other functions using Windows 10 so far are working OK as far as I can tell.

I use the CTRL key to try to select non-adjacent tracks and the SHIFT key to select more than one adjacent tracks and it will only select one track at a time.

I tested the keyboard with other programs and in Windows explorer and the CTRL and SHift keys are working fine. Uninstalled Audacity and then reinstalled it and it is still doing the same thing Any suggestions?

Many thanks,

Chuck Schoon :stuck_out_tongue:
Durham, NC

1 Like

Does “Ctrl + A” select all of the tracks?

Yes. But that is not the problem.

I can only select one track or all of them. The CTRL / SHIFT keys are not responding so that I can select 2, or 3, or more tracks either next to one another, or non-adjacent.

I tested the CTRL / SHIFT keys in other programs and they work fine for making selections like in Word or WIndows Explorer files.

The manuals say that using the CTRL key while making selections will enable you to select multiple tracks whether next to one another or not, and the SHIFT key while selecting tracks enables you to select multiple tracks that are all next to one another.

But it demonstrates that Audacity is correctly registering the Ctrl key.

Yes. Are you “Ctrl + clicking” on the “Select” button on the left end of the tracks?

I totally agree! I love Audacity but its method of selecting multiple chunks of audio is very frustrating. Control and shift don’t work the way they do in other programs. For example, let’s say I have 4 stereo tracks. I click on the title of the first one and it selects it all, but I want to select two or more of these tracks and then move them together. So I hold down Ctrl, or Shift, or Ctrl+Shift, and then click on the title of the 2nd track. This selects the 2nd track but it also de-selects the first track! Here’s an awkward work-around for this problem: Instead of clicking on the title bar, you have to click in the left channel and then carefully drag the mouse down and to the right across all 4 tracks. Doing this, you can eventually get all 4 tracks selected but if you don’t do it just right, or let the mouse move over into the wrong region, you lose the selection. To me, Audacity has a similar problem to Libre Calc. Everybody has Excel and hates the bugs (and the price!). So Calc comes along with open source and fixes the stuff we hated, but unfortunately they also try to reinvent the parts of Excel that were already perfect. Audacity isn’t nearly as bad as Libre and Open Office. I really love a lot of its features and it doesn’t have the passive-aggressive feeling of Libre, but this one aspect - selection of multiple regions - doesn’t have to be so hard. Just make it work like the other programs in regard to shift and control selection!!

Hopefully someone has a better, smoother work-around than what I’m describing. I really love this program and I’m determined to stick with it.