Cannot hear recording over USB Mic & Headset

Hello,

I used Audacity for recording on my windows laptop but now switched to macOS Mojave. I have Audacity 2.3.2 installed.
It seems to be working a bit different, and there is one thing I cannot figure out.

I got my USB microphone connected and can record through the microphone as I am used. But if I record using several tracks (for instance track 1 music, track 2 voice recording) I hear only the first track over my headphone when I am recording (connected in the USB microphone). When I play the recording back I hear both tracks well, so the recording itself is not the issue, but the headset seems to only allow 1 track to sound. I am used to hear both music and voice over my headphone when in recording mode. What am I missing?

Thanks!

What is the make and model number of the USB microphone? Does it have a headphone socket?

it’s a CO1U PRO microphone with headphone output socket (and usb input to Mac)

If you plug your headphones into the mic, and select the mic as both the recording and playback device in the “Device Toolbar”, then you should be able to hear both your live mic input, and Audacity tracks.

Hi Steve,

I have tested that, but it still does not work.
Perhaps I am doing something else wrong, i will describe step by step.
I plug USB in my Mac, and plug headphone in Microphone socket. Then I start Audacity. I choose the Samson CO1U both as recording device and play back device in Audacity. I also adjust my sound settings under mac’s System Preferences into input and output on the USB Microphone.
Now if I talk in the microphone, I can hear myself on the headphone.
Then I open an MP3 song in Audacity. When I play that track I hear it over my headphone. But then I no longer hear myself over the microphone.
If I try to record, I open a new track under Tracks menu option, and I choose Stereo Track. Now I try to record while playing the song and singing along. I only hear the song, not myself.
But when I playback, it has recorded both song and voice well.

So I have no idea what I am possibly doing wrong…
I also tried the setup in GarageBand and there i have no issues. But I prefer Audacity… :slight_smile:

Please try this and then describe what happens:

1. plug USB in your Mac
  2. plug headphone in Microphone socket of the mic
  3. Ensure that you can hear yourself through your headphones
  4. Launch Audacity
  5. Ensure that you can hear yourself through your headphones
  6. set the Samson CO1U both as recording device and play back device in Audacity
  7. Ensure that you can hear yourself through your headphones
  8. Generate 30 seconds of silence (“Generate menu”)
  9. Click the “Play” button
  10. Can you still hear yourself through your headphones?
  11. Click the “Stop” button.
  12. Can you hear yourself through your headphones now?
  13. Hold the “Shift” key down and click the “Record” button.
  14. Can you hear yourself through your headphones now?

Hi Steve, thanks for your help. I went through all your suggested steps, but no luck…

1. plug USB in your Mac :white_check_mark:
  2. plug headphone in Microphone socket of the mic :white_check_mark:
  3. Ensure that you can hear yourself through your headphones i need to change my Mac system preferences sound to input & output Samson CO1U and then i can hear myself :white_check_mark:
  4. Launch Audacity :white_check_mark:
  5. Ensure that you can hear yourself through your headphones :white_check_mark:
  6. set the Samson CO1U both as recording device and play back device in Audacity :white_check_mark:
  7. Ensure that you can hear yourself through your headphones :white_check_mark:
  8. Generate 30 seconds of silence (“Generate menu”) done :white_check_mark:
  9. Click the “Play” button :white_check_mark:
  10. Can you still hear yourself through your headphones? :x:No I cannot
  11. Click the “Stop” button. :white_check_mark:
  12. Can you hear yourself through your headphones now? :white_check_mark:
  13. Hold the “Shift” key down and click the “Record” button. :white_check_mark:
  14. Can you hear yourself through your headphones now? :x: no I cannot

According to the Samson C01U Pro owners manual (http://www.samsontech.com/site_media/support/manuals/C01UPro_OM_5L_v2.pdf)

The headphones will provide a mix of the direct signal that the micro-phone is picking up and the return audio from your software

See the section: “Computer Setup” (the manual says to see “page 6”, but it’s actually “page 7”)

I have read the samson manual and tried checking the “thru” on and off, as indicated. But nothing changes.
I thought it would be a setting in Audacity, since I do not have the problem when using Garageband. But I am not an expert obviously:-)

This is not a reply, but again similar problem I am experiencing with me too.
I use USB based Behringer U-Phoria Studio Recording device. I import my track for song into Audacity, and the singer sings while recording.
Everything ok, vocals also recording fine. But unfortunately I am not able to hear the vocals singer (sound of his singing) in my headphones.
I tried all options but no results.

I replied here: Recording Audio with Music Track