Cannot adjust monitoring volume for track I'm recording

Windows 11 Audacity 3.1.3 version
Behringer U-Phoria UMC202HD interface

The question and format are now more than a year old. I have the same issue. I am not able to control individual tracks in the monitor without it affecting the recording input. Reading through the conversations was helpful and it almost made me come to realize there is a limitation with our interfaces or Audacity’s ability to help us control what we want in monitor level without it affecting the recording level. Was anyone able to figure out what might be able to be done to help this without adding another preamp? I was hoping Audacity had a individual monitor control for monitor input levels without it affecting the input mix for recording. I have had a previous recording being set correctly and yet I have to turn my amp that is being mic’d up more than what my headphones producing in levels in order to get a good input signal. Once I achieve a db level I can barely hear the pre-recorded track I am playing along with to add a lead guitar part. The decibels, I am recording are -6db to -12db are little below the prerecorded stereo tracks sent to me and hope to blend the levels as needed after a good recording track is taken down. I’ve searched the internet and this person’s question was spot on the issue I am dealing with. I work with other engineers that send me work to play along with yet I don’t have the ability to control the monitor mix. On old analog boards no problem. We could mix our monitors and control the input of a level without it affecting the overall mix or allow to affect the master mix. Thank you in advance for any help.

Nolastrat

I am not sure that I understand your question or exactly what it is you are trying to do. Please do not expect me to read someone else’s prior trouble report to find out about your current difficulties. Thank you. If you had “exactly” the same issue as the OP, you would likely not be posting now.

While Audacity can “Playthrough” the audio that is being recorded, there can be quite a noticeable delay due to your computer’s input and output buffers and this delay can be bothersome for most users. For this reason, most users strongly prefer to uset a hardware monitoring solution separate from the computer (e.g. the “Direct Monitor” on your UMC202HD). Are you also trying to Overdub at the same time?

Yes, this is the thing to do - and it looks as though your U-Phoria has this feature. I believe your “DIrect Monitor” (9), “Ouput” (15), and “Phones” (9) controls allow you to do just that.

It is not clear to me just why you are mic’ing your amp. Most amps have a headphone output which you should be able to patch directly to your Behringer. In general, if you are recording, it is best to be using only headphones in the room.

So if you are still having problems, describe in detail exactly what it is you are trying to do, along with what you have tried and someone should be happy to help you.

Please forgive me. I was in the understanding that I was clear about not being able to control the monitor level on what I was recording without it affecting the recording level. I am recording along with a stereo track that has been sent to me. The engineer will take what I send him and mix with his mix that is saved individually. He has sent me a temporary mix to play along with. I cannot hear what I am recording clearly, in the monitor, to be able to interact with the stereo track, in the monitor, sent to me. I am trying to lay down a guitar track of fills, accents and a lead section. Yet in the monitors the music I am playing along with, what tracks where sent to me, is louder than the what I am recording. So it makes it difficult to hear a decent audible level of the 1.the tracks sent to me 2. the track I am adding to his work for him to master. I am in a a good range for recording which to send him, -6 to -12, to allow him to master what he wants. Still it is hard to keep up with what I am doing in response to his recording because I cannot hear myself well enough. It would be nice to control the monitor levels without it affecting the recording levels.I guess in the headphones it would be nice to turn down the original tracks stereo tracks, I am playing along with, down and for me to play along with them at the monitor input level without it affecting the recording. Like when we working with people in a sound booth, I could give them what they wanted in their headphones without it affecting the recording of their voice and not affecting the over all recording of other mixes and or stereo track at that specific point. I was hoping I could turn up or down in my headphones the stereo track or turn up my guitar without it affecting what is being recorded.

Please forgive me if I was not clear enough before or if it is not clear now. I appreciate your input and prompt response. I was responding to the original post which is what I understood the original post to be about and what I am dealing with as well. The individual, that posted the first post, did a good job expressing himself with the issue. It is why I asked if the original problem was solved. I read through the whole thread and never saw a answer accept links and no response from the original poster to understand if it helped him.

Again thank your for your input. I will try what you have recommended and work with the unit as described. Please forgive me for not being clear enough and thank you so much for your ideas and thoughts. Thank you,

Nolastrat

Jademan, Thank you for your help. It was problem between the carpet and the Behringer unit controls… Your putting me onto the “Direct Monitor” (9) and “Output” (15) adjusting seems to have cleared it up. It was my self and lack of understanding with the unit. Thank you so much. I do appreciate it. I was able to knock off one recording and get the levels in the headphones good. I am hoping that it is the only probably I will have to disturb you folks with and again I believe it was my ignorance of working the unit. Much appreciated, Nolastrat.

:question:

Thanks for taking the trouble to post your success! :smiley: Unfortunately, many don’t which makes it harder for others to work out their own issues. HTH. :smiley: