Can not open AUD file

I have made a simple voice recording to test this program (I’m new to Audacity) and saved it in a folder on my desktop. I named it TEST1.

After going back into the program, I located the saved file and clicked on it. I get a message “Test1 is already opened in another window.”

If I go to File>Import>Audio and click on the file, I get the message “The is an Audacity Program. Use File> Open Command.”

Any suggestions to assist me? I can’t seem to find the answer in your online manual.

Thanks. JIM

Audacity doesn’t save sound files. It saves Projects. A Project has an AUP file which tells Audacity what to do with all that stuff in the _DATA folder.

You should be able to double click the AUP file and the show should open. The AUP file and _DATA folder have to be in the same location or directory or folder for the show to open.

You can’t split the two in different locations, delete either one or rename either one.

If you want a common sound file, you can Export one. Audacity defaults to WAV (Microsoft) which is terrific quality and supported on all three computer types.

That help?

Koz

Maybe renaming the file is my problem. I am renaming the file to “Test1” and dropping it in a folder on the desktop.

I will try this again.

Thanks.

Jim

Follow up question…

Is it possible to save several voice recordings separately and then open them up individually where they show up on the Audacity screen one on top of the other? I need to see them all on the same screen. Right now when I open them up they are opening in different Audacity screens. I have to toggle back and forth to see my results.

Example:

Voice recording1
Voice recording2
Voice recording3

Thanks.

JIM

An Audacity Project will retain the timeline structure of your show. If you start with multiple stacked performances when you save the show, that’s what will open up. Projects save all that, but will not save UNDO.

Generally, you can select a track by clicking just above MUTE and File > Export Selected. In that case, you will only get that single track as a WAV file, not the whole bunch. Do that to each track you want to export to its own file.

Use WAV (Microsoft) for production, not MP3.

Koz

File > Import > Audio… .

File > Open… always imports each file into separate project windows.

Gale