I am trying to recover an unsaved session after a crash. The automatic crash recovery offers me the recovery of this session, but when I confirm, I get the “Error: not well-formed (invalid token) at line 30675”. So I followed the corresponding steps in the abovementioned manual under “Solution to correct an AUTOSAVE file that Audacity is attempting to recover from”. My problem is: I can not convert the autosave file to XML, i.e. do step 3. I followed the manual for converting an autosave file to an xml file on Mac OS X, but step 7 does not produce an autosave file in the “Mac OS” folder.
When I skip step 3 altogether and edit line 30675 in the unaltered autosave file, the error message keeps appearing and a recovery is not possible.
Every idea is highly appreciated. Thank you!
Audacity 2.1.2 (obtained via .dmg)
OS X 10.11.6
P.S. The original session was recorded on:
Audacity 2.0.6 (obtained via apt)
I can confirm the steps are correct as written - I just tried them and recovered a project from a binary AUTOSAVE file saved by 2.1.3-alpha then converted to XML. However an AUTOSAVE file saved by Audacity 2.0.6 is already XML, so there is no need to convert it to XML at all. It is already editable in TextEdit.
Thank you for your feedback, Gale. I saw, that the autosave file was already XML formatted, but I decided to stuck with the manual, just in case something magical was going to happen in step 7.
I suggest to mention in the manual, which versions of Audacity use binary autosave files and therefore need conversion and which ones use XML formatted files and can skip step 7. This could have saved me a bit of a hassle with this issue. Do you know where I shall file this?
Anyways, I attached the autosave file in question as deleting line 30675 and replacing it with the string “” did not work. I’d thank you very much if you find the time to have a look into it.
Indeed I did not recognize your upload. You changed the file according to your second proposal, which I already tried. It didn’t work with your file either.
I’m trying to recover on my Raspbian Pi as I am cautious how to migrate the whole unrecovered project onto my Mac. I just wanted to convert the autosave file to XML on my Mac, as mentioned in my first post.
Whether part of the problem or not, I must stress that Audacity does not yet support Pi operating systems. We are clear about this on our site.
There are no unusual characters in the project so it should be possible to move the project to Mac.
The only other idea I had about the AUTOSAVE file is that there is no corresponding right channel for the last block file. So you could remove the reference to the last channel 0 in the file (in which case if the file recovers you get an orphaned block file error), or add a fake last channel 1 (in which case if the file recovers you get a missing block file error). I did not think that matters, but I have attached a new file with a fake block file for the last channel.
Thank you for your final post, Gale. This was the error indeed. I fetched the audacity-data directory from my pi and returned it back to the wrong directory, not suspecting anything.
I placed the corrected autosave file into
and recovering started properly. Unfortunately the recovered session is corrupted and has multiple errors, including delay between channels, glitches and dropouts. Nevertheless I thank you very much for taking your time.