Burning Audio to CD in Real Time

I haven’t seen a way to do this with Audacity, but is there some sort of workaround?

I need to be able to record live Audio directly to cd. I’m using Audacity at church to record the sermons, but there’s a need to record them live to CD. It takes too much time to render the sound file, then burn it to Cd.

I hope this makes sense.

I think that you will need to use a hardware CD recorder to be able to do that. You certainly can’t do it with Audacity - Audacity does not burn CD’s.

<<<Audacity does not burn CD’s.>>>

Nor does it do anything in real time.

You will also find that there is no such thing as a stand-alone CD burner, probably thanks to the eternal vigilance of the RIAA. There is also the technical problem of making the performance data exactly match the burning data or the process will fail with the famous Buffer Underrun problem that all CD burners had a short time ago.

However, you can totally get a stand-alone DVD burner with analog intputs. So park a little handi-cam in the back of the church and connect the camera video to the video connection and the church PA into the audio. There is a short finalization process at the end and you have a standard Movie DVD with slightly higher sound quality than a standard Music CD.

Koz

How about the Sony RCD-W500C ? It seems that you can do real time recording of CD’s on that. Again you need to “Finalize” the disk after recording is complete before it can be played on a regular Audio CD player.

Thanks everyone. I didn’t think there was a way to do this with Audacity, but it never hurts to try.

We’ve got cameras installed and we’re already recording video direct to DVD, but some people just want the audio.
I’m recording the Audio with Audacity, but it takes time to save the audio to an MP3 and then burn the MP3 to CD.

I’m looking for a “push one button” solution. Or as close to it as I can get.

Thanks for the input on the Sony. I’m going to look into that option.

Have a good one everybody!

If you are making audio CD’s (rather than data CD’s, you can speed up the process and improve the quality by Exporting as WAV rather than MP3. For audio CD’s (that will play on ordinary CD players), go into Audacity preferences and on the “Quality” tab set the default recording format to 16 bit 44100Hz. This is the format that audio CD’s use, so it cuts out the time of your software encoding to MP3 and decoding back to 16bit 44100Hz uncompressed audio data.

go into Audacity preferences and on the “Quality” tab set the default recording format to 16 bit 44100Hz.

Right on! That may save some trouble! I’ll give it a try in the morning.

Shippy - so how did it go? I’m wanting to find out exactly the same process for exactly the same purpose as you. I don’t have the advantage of real time camera feed though.