Beginner Needs Feedback and Help

Trebor–

See that Hum Threshold setting? That’s what happened to me. That’s not gentle hum suppression. That’s taking a Howitzer to the show.

Koz

Are you using headphones for any of this? Hum problems are magic because some of the tones are lower pitch than laptops or even some speaker systems can handle. So your tools and filters act funny and you can’t figure out why. There’s more sound there than you can hear.

There are special voice filters for this problem. Some of them are even built into portable sound mixers.

Koz

Those tiny noises behind the Logitech? That’s my busy street. Those are cars going by. If I record at night all that goes away (except for the Metrobus).

Koz

I’d be tempted to redo the audio on a battery-powered recording-device in a closet full of clothes, or maybe in the back of a car.

Or perhaps the back of a car full of clothes.

I’ve never tried that with Lori (my lorry). I should. Of course finding a quiet place to park in Los Angeles could be amusing.

Screen Shot 2021-12-09 at 5.45.32 PM.png
I should call that guy that used to turn out voice tracks in his car. He’s even closer to LAX than I am.

Koz

I’d be tempted to redo the audio on a battery-powered recording-device in a closet full of clothes, or maybe in the back of a car.

Its a mix with other voices. Nice try.

As I was listening to that I did wonder how all the voices managed to have similar distortions.

I never got the answer to whether this was a Zoom recording on their servers, or software/app trying to record a Zoom meeting on the local computer.

It does ring tiny bells when portions of the show or damage don’t make sense.

Koz

I did try lower settings for threshold & harmonics, but the hum is bad on this one.

I can squeeze out a bit more quality after de-hum if I use a compressor with lots (16) of bands …

[That the hum is not a constant volume on the before gives the game away that echo/noise-reduction is in operation].

I would project the following scenario (after coffee). The poster was not only using this microphone to capture his voice, but also to capture the laptop speakers and thus the other performers in hands-free configuration. That would account for the harsh tonal distortion on all the voices, the hum, and the pumping.

It might have worked if the microphone hadn’t been a piece of…inadequacy and the laptop speakers had been better. I note that the only shortcoming is the guests would hear their own voices coming back a second or two late. I don’t know if you ever had that happen? I had that on a service call recently. It’s super uncomfortable. It makes you want to repeat your own words your own words your own words.

It’s an interesting trick because normally you wouldn’t be able to capture all the voices from the host’s computer. And except for the cost of the microphone (not enough, as it turned out), it’s free.

(writing that down).

Koz

I can further see this technique racing through the “Affordable Underground.”

“Hey. I heard about this cool thing you can do with Zoom.”

Koz

a/k/a speech-jamming … https://youtu.be/hnaOpWCJwXU?t=169

I took the microphone back. I kept all the original packing material, instruction sheets, the microphone in excellent condition, and the receipt. They took it back immediately, credited my card, and provided a return receipt.

I also bought a candy bar in the original purchase. I did not return that.

Koz

a/k/a speech-jamming

I wonder if that’s what makes simul-play so easy. Listening to distorted, noisy words in simple playback and repeating them a beat later into a high quality microphone in a quiet room.

Jamming Is when you try to ignore the earphone voice. That’s a mess.

Koz