Audacity 2.4.2

After I have recorded some text I always follow up with:

Noise Reduction
Compressor
EQ (Bass & Treble)
Limiter
Reverb
Normalization

I never change the parameters so I just use the same settings, however, I was wondering if this can be made into a script of some sorts.

EDIT: I want to automate this process, except for Noise Reduction and normalize should be preformed last.

Yes, except maybe for the Noise Reduction. Traditional Noise Reduction is in two steps, not one. Drag Select some example noise > Effect > Noise Reduction > Profile. Then you actually apply corrections based on that profile.

Select the performance > Effect > Noise Reduction > Pick the settings > OK.

How do you do that now?

Koz

Actually, you are right, yes all the modifications except Noise Reduction and normalization should be performed last. How can I automate this process?

I have a sister posting asking about automatic Noise Reduction Profile. It seems I asked about this once before (2022) and apparently, nobody knew, or it was a secret.

If you Apply Noise Reduction with the default reduction settings, you will get “Noise Reduction of the Beast” (6, 6, 6). That’s a perfectly workable, clean noise reduction and it’s what is used in Audiobook Mastering.

Mastering is an interesting example. It applies a 100Hz rumble filter, Loudness Normalization to the middle of the audiobook range, and then soft, gentle limiter to take care of peaks and tips that are louder than -3dB.

That’s it. If you recorded in a quiet, echo-free room, you may be done.

The only outlier might be noise. That’s not automated.

This is a sample I recorded on an iPhone in my quiet office.

I Mastered and then applied default Noise Reduction and it passes audiobook technical standards.

Koz

This is me looking for the Macro instructions.

Koz

This is the writeup on Mastering including the actual Macro which is a.txt file.

Don’t let your computer try to turn it into a document or letter to your mum. You might forbid your computer from hiding filename extensions.

Download and view the code and drag out the display side to side so each instruction is a stand-alone line. Click the box to view it.

Koz

You are 100% a professional narrator. No way in hell that you learned to speak like this through fiddling with a hobby.

Thank you, but I did fail my ACX audiobook sample file audition. The file was practically perfect in every way, but I had too many tongue ticks, lip smacks, and glottal stops.

Actually, I’m a broadcast engineer. If you’re having trouble sleeping I’ll tell you how your microphone works. “The vibration causes the coil to vibrate cutting across the magnetic field…” zzzzzzzzzzz.

Koz

1 Like

It’s official. The current Noise Reduction is a hold-over from the Eisenhower Administration and may not be successfully folded into a Macro.

2-Step Manual Application only.

I’m curious about some of the steps in your production process. What’s the goal?

The fuzzy, top-level goal in Mastering is to sound exactly like you with maybe a gentle volume change, only now you pass audiobook standards-guaranteed.

Like you, I started with single-steps grouped into a process that seemed to work well. I still have that list here somewhere. This was my first Macro.

This is also my introduction to what happens when a program or App is a plain text file.

Koz

My goal is to change my default recording in such a way that it sounds a tad bit better than without the changes that are made through the effects that I have pointed out here above. My productions are for home use only and are not to be distributed.

Closer. You’re recording your tambourine solos for future posterity?

Koz

I am not going to respond to this as I do not think this is meant as a sincere question, the energy feels more like a joke of some sort.

If you won’t tell us what the show is, then I think we’re done.

I posted the instructions how to make a Macro.

Koz

What are you talking about “show” did I say I made shows? I said I make recordings which is not really important what they are or where they are for. I just record my voice, that’s it, full stop. In my OP I asked if there is a way to automate the application of certain effects. That is what is important, that is what my question is about. Maybe we did not understand each other, hence you made a remark about tambourine solos for future posterity. Which was off the mark, and I assumed you made a silly joke.

As for the instructions, thanks I will check them out.

We can’t see what you’re doing and the more you can flesh out your environment in the question, the better. Also, someone who refuses to tell us what they’re doing can ring bells such as a fake post, lead up to a sales offer, or a surveillance job.

There is a Filter Curve-Equilization and plain Bass and Treble. We see by a recent post that apparently, you can’t set both Bass and Treble in one Macro command. I would try invoking first one and then the other in separate commands and see how that works.

Koz

Yes, Koz, you are right, English is not my first language, so I didn’t know what posterity means. I thought you were making fun of me, like bullying.

No, it’s not a fake post, and also not a post that turns into a sale offer, nor am I surveilling. I would argue that those guys are better prepared and have their cover story in place, before joining or initiating the conversation. I just record my voice, that’s it, I do not know how to say it differently than that, it is what it is. No audiobook no Tambourine.

Thanks, I will research further.

Ubuntu 22.04.03LTS
Audacity 2.4.2

After I have recorded some text I always follow up with:

Noise Reduction
Compressor
EQ (Bass & Treble)
Limiter
Reverb
Normalization

I never change the parameters so I just use the same settings, however, I was wondering if this can be made into a script of some sorts.

EDIT: I want to automate this process, except for Noise Reduction and normalize should be preformed last.

To clarify and remove confusion, I record my own voice by reading a text, I do not use instruments or anything else.

You can automate this process

1. Create Nyquist Plug-ins
    Create and save plug-ins for Compressor, EQ, Limiter, and Reverb with your settings in the Plug-Ins folder.
  2. Create a Chain
    In Audacity, go to FileChainsAdd.
    Add the effects in order: Compressor, EQ, Limiter, Reverb.
    Save the chain.
  3. Run the Chain
    Select your audio.
    Go to FileApply Chain and choose your chain.
  4. Manual Steps:
    Do Noise Reduction before running the chain.
    Normalize after running the chain.

This automates most steps while leaving Noise Reduction and Normalization manual.

@hanford thank you

You can automate this process

1. Create Nyquist Plug-ins
    Create and save plug-ins for Compressor, EQ, Limiter, and Reverb with your settings in the Plug-Ins folder.
  2. Create a Chain
    In Audacity, go to FileChainsAdd.
    Add the effects in order: Compressor, EQ, Limiter, Reverb.
    Save the chain.
  3. Run the Chain
    Select your audio.
    Go to FileApply Chain and choose your chain.
  4. Manual Steps:
    Do Noise Reduction before running the chain.
    Normalize after running the chain.

This automates most steps while leaving Noise Reduction and Normalization manual.

When I go to file (first tab at the left) I do not see ‘chain’
I will add a screenshot. (the color is different than the default color because I chose to change the color)

I’m working with Audacity 2.4.2 this is probably a very old version.
A year ago I downloaded the newest version of Audacity but removed it very fast, as it did not behave as this old version I pointed out. I learned working with this version and with the new version there were a lot of changes, that interfered with my workflow.