AUP file won't open in Audacity, please help!

Hi there,

I’m currently using audacity 2.1.2 on Windows 10

I’ve tried to open my audacity project using the file>open command, to no avail… the program repeatedly prompts me to use the file>open command, which is what I’m doing. My other projects will open, no problem. This is what I have in my log:

14:43:33: File name is C:\Users\Lawrence\Music\raps\Ouija\9. Ouija Board (Prod. By CollegeBoii x The ScreamMaker).aup
14:43:33: Mime type is *
14:43:33: Opening with libsndfile
14:43:33: Opening with liboggvorbis
14:43:33: Opening with libflac
14:43:33: Opening with lof
14:43:33: Opening with libav
14:43:33: Error: Importer::Import: Opening failed.
14:45:39: File name is C:\Users\Lawrence\Music\raps\Ouija\9. Ouija Board (Prod. By CollegeBoii x The ScreamMaker).aup
14:45:39: Mime type is *
14:45:39: Opening with libsndfile
14:45:39: Opening with liboggvorbis
14:45:39: Opening with libflac
14:45:39: Opening with lof
14:45:39: Opening with libav
14:45:39: Error: Importer::Import: Opening failed.

I’ve been all over the internet looking for a solution and don’t know where to go from here, could you please help me out?

What is the exact message?

The exact message is as follows ‘[file] is an audacity project file. Use ‘file>open’ command to open Audacity projects’, thanks in advance

Does it actually say “'[file]” or does it say:
“C:\Users\Lawrence\Music\raps\Ouija\9. Ouija Board (Prod. By CollegeBoii x The ScreamMaker).aup is an audacity project file.
Use ‘file>open’ command to open Audacity projects.”

It says C:\Users\Lawrence\Music\raps\Ouija\9. Ouija Board (Prod. By CollegeBoii x The ScreamMaker).aup is an audacity project file.
Use ‘file>open’ command to open Audacity projects."

and you are definitely using “File menu > Open” and not “File menu > Import” or “File menu > Recent” ?

Yes, without a doubt… I’ve used audacity in the past and familiar with it but this is the first time this has happened with a project

What’s the file size of the AUP file?

The AUP file is 61kb

That sounds about right. Please attach it to your reply and I’ll have a look to see if there’s anything peculiar about it.
See here for how to attach files to posts: https://forum.audacityteam.org/t/how-to-attach-files-to-forum-posts/24026/1

Also, have you tried opening the project by double clicking on it?

Thanks in advance for your efforts
9. Ouija Board (Prod. By CollegeBoii x The ScreamMaker).aup (61.1 KB)

Did you shut the computer lid before the project finished saving? That is the usual reason that AUP files can end up empty.

Gale

The file is corrupt.

It should look something like this when opened in a text editor:
good.png
but your AUP file looks like this:
bad.png
(in some text editors it may look like an empty file. My text editor is “Scite” which displays invalid characters as “NULL”)

Yes, I’ve tried to double click and received the same prompt

Wow, I kept saving it throughout the recording process… is there any way of recovering the file?

If you had done editing in the project, then no it is not recoverable.
If the project was just a recording and had not been edited, then it ‘may’ be possible to recover some or all of the project. See here: http://manual.audacityteam.org/man/recovering_crashes_manually.html