Audio sounds strange

Hello, I am new to audacity, and I set up my microphone and used this program. I experimented around and solved one of my issues. Using noise reduction i could eliminate loud background noise, but my voice was still somewhat distorted. i do not know how to fix this, I am using a Neewer NW-700 microphone connected via xlr to a 48V PHANTOM POWER supply, that runs xlr to aux into my pc. i am running audacity 2.2.2, and am using Realtek High Definition Sound drivers.

Here is a clip of me speaking through two pop filters into a wall of solid memory foam, so it cant be echo.
HUE.aup (1.29 KB)

48V PHANTOM POWER supply, that runs xlr to aux into my pc.

We should find out a lot more about that cable or device. Usually, those two services are incompatible. You can’t just “adapt” an XLR microphone to the side of a laptop.

Also, an AUP file is a project manager text file, not a sound file.

You can post a sound test to the forum like this.

http://www.kozco.com/tech/audacity/TestClip/Record_A_Clip.html

Koz

Make sure [u]Windows “enhancements”[/u] are turned-off.

Note that most “studio style” mics are side-address directional mics. Check the specs and make sure you are speaking/singing onto the front side, not the back or the end.

Also, note that noise reduction can sometimes damage the audio (especially if the noise is bad) so check to see if the distortion is present before noise reduction, or if it’s being caused by noise reduction.

As Koz says, XLR microphones are not compatible with soundcards (or the mic input on a laptop). Stage/studio microphones should be used with an [u]audio interface[/u] (or preamp/mixer) that has a proper XLR microphone input.

that runs xlr to aux into my pc.

Did you try the microphone input? (Neither input is correct for an XLR mic, but the mic input should work better than the Aux/Line input.)

You can use a [u]transformer[/u] to convert the balanced (3-wire) low-impedance connection to an unbalanced (2-wire) connection for a computer, but you’re still using the “cheap” preamp built into your computer.

In general, the mic preamp built-into a soundcard/laptop is low quality (often noisy and it may have other issues) so even with a “good” computer microphone you usually won’t get great quality.

that runs xlr to aux into my pc.

There are some good “studio style” USB microphones (“podcast” mics). Those don’t use your soundcard but some people also have noise issues with those.

Virtually all audio interfaces, (and modern preamps & and mixers) have phantom power built-in so with the right setup you rarely need a separate 48V power supply. …Phantom power is for studio condenser mics. Dynamic mics don’t need power. Some “stage” electret condenser mics have a battery inside. Computer electret condensers get 5V from the soundcard.

I did write this up once.

https://forum.audacityteam.org/t/devils-adapter/46592/1

If you have one of these, you should put it in a nice box in the garage and connect your microphone a different way.

Koz