Audio cuts when recording

Hi there !

I’m using Audacity to do some acoustic tests for my soundproofing. I have a rather unusual setting, I play an audio and I record the sound I get from the other side of my soundproofing sample.

Or at least that’s what I wanted to do. I ca play my audio but the second I try to record it, it mutes. The audio still goes on, as well as the recording but there’s no sound whatsoever. I’ve tried a ton of different media players, nothing. I have the right device selected on Audacity, I’m out of solution.

I’d gladly take any advice you may have !

That’s a little scrambled, but are you trying to play the test sound and record it on the same computer?

Don’t do that. Use separate devices. Maybe play the tests on your computer and record it on your phone.

If you try to do both on the same machine, you are going to trigger many communications, chat, Zoom, Skype, etc tools to prevent feedback and room echos. Exactly the thing you’re trying to measure.

Koz

Sorry I didn’t make that clear ! My laptop is wired to a speaker and a mic. The speaker plays the sound and the mic records it but both devices are attached to the laptop.

I hope it made it clearer ! Thank you for helping

Right. That’s exactly what you can’t do. You may be trying to measure room reverberation and echoes, but you’re doing it on a machine whose normal day job is to cancel room reverberation and echoes.

You can either dig in the computer to find all those tools, enhancements, and apps and turn them off, or play the test sounds from one device and record them on a different one. Say, play them from the computer and record them on your phone, or another computer.

I think this is a terrific idea. Most people just throw soundproofing around and don’t try to measure whether or not it’s effective.

What are your test sounds?

Koz

It occurred to me later that you might be able to set up for Musical Overdubbing. That’s a technique where Audacity plays one sound (rhythm or backing track) and records your performance.

But that’s normally done with headphones, not in free air.

And that still means you need to keep the computer from getting its hands in there. Audacity gets its sound from the computer, not the device or microphone.

Koz

And just to project the future. Eventually, you’re going to need to find all those tools anyway. That’s the only way you’re ever going to get a clean, undamaged live recording.

We assume that’s your goal.

As you struggle with this, it may be obvious why it’s recommended to perform recordings with stand-alone, high-quality sound recorders, not the computer.

That’s my Zoom H1n stereo recorder and script.

Koz

Here’s the more formal one with the headphones and coffee.

This topic was automatically closed after 30 days. New replies are no longer allowed.