I also have Windows 10, though I was using Audacity 2.0.5 at first with a Rode NT-USB microphone. I downloaded the latest version of Audacity (2.3.2) to see if that fixed it, and all it did was nix the error message.
Error message in full:
“Latency Correction setting has caused the recorded audio to be hidden before zero.
Audacity has brought it back to start at zero.
You may have to use the Time Shift Tool (<—> or F5) to drag the track to the right place.”
This was for anything. I tried to record with no previous tracks, the time arrow turned red and refused to move. I tried to record with a click track in place, that didn’t work either. Moreover, when I tried to PLAY the click track, all I got was static.
That’s when I went to the newer version. Got the same results, minus the error message. Tried it with an old audio doodle I did with “Man on the Silver Mountain” to the same result: couldn’t record. Tried recording in the middle of the song using the Time Selection tool, time line still wouldn’t move. Playback still yielded nothing but static.
However, it was then that I noticed that the playback speed was very, VERY slow, about 50x slower than normal (.02 seconds of playback time for every 1 second of real time). I switched from MME to Windows Direct Sound and got similar results, but when I switched to Windows WASAPI, the tracks played back as normal.
I then of course tried to record something, but was immediately given a new error message:
“Error opening recording device
Error code: -9997 Invalid sample rate”
I attempted to troubleshoot via the “Error opening sound device” Help page, but everything seemed in order. When I turned Overdub off, I was suddenly back to the time dial not moving, albeit at the very END of the song where the other tracks cut out.
My drivers are all up to date, the toolbar is currently set to Windows WASAPI for the sound processor (or whatever the MME/Windows WASAPI is called), RODE NT-USB for the microphone with 2 (Stereo) Recording, and Realtek High Definition Audio for the Speakers/Headphones. I checked the frequency on both the microphone and the speakers, and set them both to 44100 (microphone was set to that already). Still no recording, still no playback with MME.
Also, every time I change from MME to WASAPI or back again or any other combination , Audacity sits there and goes “(Not Responding)” for a bit before fulfilling the command.