Audacity has stopped receiving input from line-in

Hello All,

I’m a long-time user of Audacity, and have recently run into a frustrating occurance: The program has magically stopped recognizing my line-in! I’ve tried unistalling and reinstalling, to no effect. Below are the necessary technical details:

  • Audacity 2.01
  • Windows 7
  • Recording from a Shure SM57 into an Audio Buddy preamp
  • The line-in is running “IDT High Definition Audio CODEC” and Windows 7 tells me it’s functioning fine
  • My computer is a Dell Studio 1555

Any help would be greatly appreciated! I have a number of time-sensitive projects that need to be finished.

You did restart the machine, right?

See if your soundcard is available via the device toolbar at the top of Audacity.

Did you just start to us Skype? Did you buy a USB Turntable?

See if Windows Recorder is still available and you can make it work.

– Windows Sound Recorder
– Start > Programs > Accessories > Entertainment


Hi Koz,

Thanks for your help! My apologies for the slow reply; I spend weekends chasing small people around the house.

I did restart the machine multiple times. No luck.

Audacity offers me two options on the toolbar, MME and Windows DirectSound. Interestingly enough, if I record to “Microphone Array” then Audacity will use my Dell’s built-in mic to record. That works fine, although it sounds awful. I can get Windows Sound Recorder to do the same thing.

I did install Skype about two weeks ago and used it to make one call. However, it didn’t appear to affect Audacity at all.

I don’t think there’s an issue with the sound equipment itself. The SM57 and Audiobuddy are both pretty rugged.

I ran a fast test with Wavosaur to see if the issue carried over to another piece of software, and it did. Wavosaur would only record using the built-in mic and not my line-in.

Scratch all that: I found the problem! It was a faulty physical connection.

Thanks so much for all your help, Koz.