Audacity Effects Interface Issues

When I first began using Audacity there were several useful functions which I enjoyed such as creating robotic voices with various effects. When I got a new computer with windows 8 on it several of these functions were impacted, different interfaces and caps on what I could do, while annoying I worked around it. The problem I am bringing here is my attempts to use killerringer.dll. Following a tutorial the interface for Killerringer had both sliders and boxes to write the exact values (which was necessary as the tutorial called for decimal point values) while on my audacity I only had sliders that could not even accurately be set to a specific whole number. I tried in both Audacity 2.0.5 and even tried downgrading to Audacity 1.3 Beta (the version of audacity out at the time the tutorial was made). Adding voice effects is one of the biggest functions I need audacity for and it’s ability to do so is dwindling.

Versions of Audacity used: 2.0.5 & 1.3 Beta

Windows version: 8.1 64-bit Operating System, x64-based processor
Audacity example.jpg

That may not be an Audacity issue (probably isn’t).
I tried Killerringer a while back and it had an interface that was virtually unusable.
I then hunted around on the Internet and found a different version of Killerringer that worked on my machine (XP at that time), with an interface similar to what I was expecting.

Even though the second version “worked”, it still had some problems, which I put down to the effect being so old (December 2002 - about 5 years before Vista was released, let alone Windows 7, 8, or 8.1).

I have a similar effect that I made as a Nyquist plug-in. The settings will be different from Killerringer, but with a bit of experimentation you should be able to achieve similar effects.
I’ll have a look to see if I can dig it out for you.

The Killerringer I have (I don’t know where I got it from) appears to be a very old text-based plug-in. It produces the text box input if you use Audacity 1.3.7 Beta or previous and use the VST-Bridge. Please see http://wiki.audacityteam.org/wiki/VST_Plug-ins#legacy .

If you need 1.3.7 you can get it here: http://code.google.com/p/audacity/downloads/list?can=4 though this is not really recommended as a solution.

In 2.0.5 I tried disabling “graphical mode” for VST effects in the Effects Preferences but it did not produce input boxes in Killerringer - there is just a slider.

However if you TAB into the sliders and use LEFT arrow and RIGHT arrow you can get three decimal places of accuracy (ignoring the rounding) for “Speed” and “Amount” and you have accuracy to the nearest 10 units in “Root-Pitch”. This seems to be the same accuracy that the VST Bridge gives you, except the “Root-Pitch” scale there is 0 to 1 instead of the real scale that you see in 2.0.5.

The Killerringer I’m using (attached) does appear to affect the audio in an expected way in 2.0.5 though I am not an expert in robot voices.

What is the web address of the Killerringer tutorial you are following?

Gale
killerringer.zip (62.9 KB)

Please note that Audacity 1.3.x is obsolete and no longer supported.

Here it is:
variringmod.ny (704 Bytes)
Unfortunately Nyquist plug-ins do not yet have “preview”, so you’ll need to experiment by testing different settings on short audio selections to find settings that you like.

When installed it will appear in the Effect menu below the dividing line, listed as: “Robotic Voice Modulator…”
Instructions for installing Nyquist plug-ins are here: Missing features - Audacity Support