Audacity Crashes When Renaming an Audio Clip

Every time I try to rename or delete an audio clip name, Audacity crashes. I’ve experienced this on version 3.1.2 and 3.1.3 beta 1. I’m on a 2017 MacBook Pro and OS Monterey 12.0.1.
Screen Shot 2021-11-24 at 10.41.48 AM.png

I managed to confirm this once, but can’t get it to do it again.

You have to select an entire clip, right-click in the clip and select “Rename clip” from the context menu. One time I got that to open the “Set Wave Clip Name” dialog that you show in your screen shot. That dialog did not respond to the red close button, the Cancel button or the OK button. I had to quit Audacity by right-clicking in the dock icon and selecting “Quit” from the context menu. Not exactly a crash, just a freeze because a modal dialog could not be dismissed so the rest of the interface was locked up. Before I quit Audacity I was able to click in the main Audacity project window and bring it to the front (obscuring the dialog) which was even more confusing because there was to indication why the interface was unresponsive.

On subsequent tries Audacity just selects the clip name in the clip handle.

So for now, to rename clips, just double-click in the clip handle which will highlight the clip name for editing.

I’ll try to find a reliable way to bring up that rename dialog.

– Bill

Thanks Bill, but double-clicking the clip handle is what opens this dialog box for me in the first place. Once it’s open it doesn’t seem to matter what you do with it (rename, delete name, or just try to close it), Audacity is going to quit.

Perhaps it’s related to the Mac Audacity build?

Tried several times to “crash” Audacity (3.1.2, 32 bit, Win 7) by deleting and renaming,but it works flawlessly.
Tried pressing ENTER and also just clicking on the waveform after changing names, no problem either way.
Can even have different track names in the left hand pane and on top of the track.
Naming.PNG

Thanks for the info. I guess it is Mac related. I sent in the crash reports each time.