Audacity 4.0: Metadata not written to exported MP3 file

Hello,

I am using Audacity 4.0 on Windows 11.

When I export my project as MP3, the metadata I enter is not saved in the file.

What I do:

  1. File > Export Audio
  2. Format: MP3 Files, Stereo, 44100 Hz, Standard quality (170-210 kbps)
  3. Click “Edit metadata”
  4. Fill in Track title, Artist name, Album title, Track number, Year and Comments
  5. Click “Apply”, then “Close”
  6. Click “Export”

Result: The MP3 file is created and plays fine, but all metadata fields are empty. I checked in Windows Explorer (Properties > Details). Title, Artist, Album, Year, Track number and Comments are all blank.

I tried this several times, also overwriting the existing file. The result is always the same.

Is this a known bug in Audacity 4.0? Is there a workaround?

Thank you!

This is a known issue: Metadata is not written to MP3 files during export · Issue #12109 · audacity/audacity · GitHub

The work around is to go back to 3.7.9.