Application Error (0xc000007b). Now what?

Hi, All. I hope you can help me. I am running Windows 7. Because I have been having new-onset problems with Audacity (see a prior post), I uninstalled the version I was running (2.0.0) and downloaded and installed version 2.3.2. And, got this error upon trying to open the program (see screenshot).

What on earth shall I do about this? Please help.

Thank you for any help you can give.
audacity 232 failure screenshot.jpg

Hey folks! I think I found the answer in the time I was waiting for this to be approved. It seems that this may be due to an improperly removed program (uninstall wasn’t good enough?). The apparent remedy may be to reinstall Microsoft Visual C++ Redistributable Packages. I will let you know how it goes.

Of course, if anyone has any other thoughts, I’m all ears.

Yeah, this is a windows error, and it can be caused by a huge and annoying host of things, and unfortunately there’s a billion trouble shooting steps that could be at fault. Downloading and installing those files can solve the issue.

Thank you. Today’s a new day. Coffee, then going under the hood to see if I can fix all these annoying things. I heard something about Mercury being in retrograde. Maybe that’s my trouble! :wink:

I am beside myself. I have been working on this for, now, THREE days and I am no closer to resolving this issue. I have followed all kinds of leads, nearly toasted my computer (thank heavens for “system restore”), reinstalled Microsoft .NET Framework, removed all the Microsoft C++ Redistributable packages and installed the 2015 packages, fixed xinput1_3.dll, removed and reinstalled DirectX.

And, still: 0xc000007b

PLEASE. Help me. Nothing is working, and I have GOT to get these audio files edited! I have a podcast due, and I don’t know what to do!

Please. Can ANYONE tell me what to do to get my Audacity working?

I have downloaded the latest version (2.3.2).

I don’t know if it will be helpful, but here is the information about my computer. This is too much for me!
about my computer as of 20190718.jpg

PLEASE. Help me. Nothing is working, and I have GOT to get these audio files edited! I have a podcast due, and I don’t know what to do!

I dunno… You could try [u]GoldWave[/u] ($45 USD after free trial). I’ve forgotten exactly how the free trial works, but it WAS a certain number of operations rather than a fixed number of days.

Or, can you borrow another computer? I’m pretty sure there’s something “unusual” about your computer…

I’ve been using GoldWave for a long-long time, and upgrades are free so it’s been “essentially free” on a per-year basis. Overall, I’d say the two programs are “comparable”, but there are a few things that Audacity can do that GoldWave can’t and there are things I find easier in GoldWave but that could be because I’ve been using it longer. …I probably wouldn’t be using GoldWave except I’m pretty sure Audacity didn’t exist when I bought GoldWave. (I’m VERY happy that I chose GoldWave over Cool Edit!)

I doubt that we are going to be able to work out very quickly what the problem is with your computer, so as you’re in a hurry, some other free programs you could try:

https://www.wavosaur.com/
https://www.ocenaudio.com/

and a couple that I’ve not used, but are apparently free:
https://www.ashampoo.com/en/usd/pin/1530/multimedia-software/Ashampoo-Music-Studio-2019
https://www.dvdvideosoft.com/products/dvd/Free-Audio-Editor.htm

And…

It must be said: YOU PEOPLE ARE AMAZING. This is the most traction I’ve gotten on this problem in days! DVDdoug, I downloaded Goldwave, and it’s no Audacity, but it will run on my troubled computer! I could turn cartwheels.

It’s different than Audacity and so there is a learning curve, but I love to learn! At least, I’ll be able to get this podcast edited!!!

I wish I could have solved this perplexing problem, and perhaps I still will, but at least I won’t be hung up anymore. When I do solve the problem, I’ll be sure to come back and write about it so that if someone else has gremlins in their computer, they might be able to vanquish them. :slight_smile:

Thank you, DVDdoug and Steve. You’re lifesavers.

This is gonna sound crazy, but have you considered upgrading your files? Installing 2015 is good and all, but there is a 2017 and a 2019 too.

There may be more information in one of the logs. Open “Event Viewer” and see if anything is added to the “Application” or “System” logs when you try to run Audacity.

Audacity 2.3.2 was compiled with Visual Studio 2017, so it needs a runtime later than that. However, Audacity ships with local copies of the C++ runtime files. It may however still be the case that something is wrong with the UCRT (“Universal C Runtime”), which is serviced by the Visual C++ Runtime installer. Microsoft has consolidated the VS 2015, 2017, and 2019 C++ runtime; the best version can be found here: The latest supported Visual C++ downloads
Since Audacity is a 32-bit application, it needs the 32-bit “x86” version: vc_redist.x86.exe

If that doesn’t help, try renaming the “msvcp140.dll” and “vcruntime140.dll” files that are installed in the same directory as audacity.exe.

You can also try some general Windows troubleshooting. Check that Windows Update doesn’t have any pending updates, then start a command prompt as Administrator and run,

dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth
sfc /scannow

If either of those commands find anything wrong, reboot and then run them again.