application error 0xc000001 Windows XP SP3

Hey nice folks on the forum, I am installing 2.1.1 on my windows xp service pack 3 computer. It downloads just fine, desk top icon and everything, but when I go to open it I get an application error with the number 0xc000001d. I tried doing the zip download also and all is good until I open the program and get the same application error. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Please see in (in the yellow box at the top for “Windows”) “Audacity 2.1.1 requires the CPU to support the SSE2 instruction set”.
I think this is probably the problem. If so, please use Audacity 2.0.6 as indicated there.

if you are willing to compile Audacity 2.1.1 from source code, please see the following topic and the one underneath it where there is a patch you may be able use to compile Audacity without the SSE2 requirement:

The Audacity source for 2.1.1 release is at


I to get this error. I upgraded from 2.1.0 which worked perfectly fine. I have deleted all evidence of Audacity and re-installed it but it still happens - just when you want to use it - should know better at my age.
Any help will be greatlly appreciated

To what Audacity version exactly did you upgrade from 2.1.0? Please see the pink panel at the top of the page.

Is there any extra information or error messages other than that one?

The current 2.1.2 download may be obtained here Audacity ® | Download for Windows.

2.1.2 should run on XP SP3 with SSE2. Make sure you enable the “Reset Preferences” box half way through the installer. Manually delete the entire contents of the Audacity installation folder before reinstalling.

If the problem persists you could try dragging the installed “audacity.exe” into Dependency Walker. Save the .dwi file. If it is less than 2 MB in size you can attach it. Please see here for how to attach files: Otherwise could you perhaps upload the file to Dropbox or your favourite server and post a link to it?



I upgraded from 2.1.0 to 2.1.2.
I have uninstalled/deleted and installed 2.1.0 and 2.1.1, but all come up with the error message.
I only get the one error message.

I haqve done as you said, manually deleted all Audacity files, downloaded from the link enabling the “Reset Preferences”, but get the error when trying to run it.

I have zipped the dwi file as it is over 4mb.
The attached dwi file states 2 files are missing, but searching the internet reveals that these are not needed in XP - don’t know how true that is. Is that correct?

Thanks for your help. (1.32 MB)

Then that suggests that something has gone wrong with your system. Have you made system changes or modified the CPU or motherboard or added new memory?

Have you gone back to a very old Restore Point for some reason?

If you install and run CPU-Z, does that report that your CPU supports the SSE2 instruction set?

If you obtain Audacity 2.0.6 from Audacity download latest version, does that launch?

IESHIMS.DLL and WER.DLL and not needed to run Audacity on any version of Windows.

You could try installing the Visual C++ Redistributable Package for Visual Studio 2013. Install vcredist_x64.exe if you have 64-bit XP or vcredist_x86.exe if you have 32-bit XP.


No system changes, CPU and Motherboard not modified, no new memory added.
Have not done a system restore for months.
CPU-Z reports that SSE2 is not supported, only MMX(+), 3DNow!(+) and SSE - interesting as Audacity 2.1.0 ran perfectly before the upgrade.
Have downloaded Audacity 2.0.6 and that runs ok.

Sorry, but SSE2 is required for Audacity 2.1.0 and later: Audacity ® | Download for Windows. If the CPU reports no SSE2 support which you have confirmed then 2.1.0 and later won’t run.

It is a long shot but you could check in your BIOS if there is a setting for SSE2 on or off. If you made a BIOS update, the update might have turned SSE2 off.


The processor AMD Sempron “Thoroughbred” released in July 2004 doesn’t support SSE2.
I have checked the BIOS ‘just in case’, but no settings for SSE.
2.0.6 does run which I am now using. 2.1.0 did run as I installed it on its release, but a change or 2 must have been made as it didn’t run when I tried to upgrade to 2.1.2.
Thanks for your help.