all my sound crashes when I export a wav file

I have recorded a vinyl on audacity and then exported it to burn a CD. I exported in wav as specified.The CD recorded perfectly I was getting sound through my PC . When I exported the file all my windows sound crashed. I have checked through the devices and everything is shown to be operating normally. The only way I have found to recover is to go to a restore point.
Any suggestions as to what I can do to avoid repeated recourse to the restore point I am running windows XP

I exported in wav as specified.The CD recorded perfectly I was getting sound through my PC . When I exported the file all my windows sound crashed.

Let me read this back to you. “I exported sound and it worked perfectly and I exported sound and my computer crashed.”

How did you make the CD if the export crashed?

Koz

If this is a USB turntable and you mean that you lose sound in Windows when using the turntable, this is expected. At its simplest, just unplug the turntable. See here http://manual.audacityteam.org/o/man/faq_playback.html#usb .

Gale

Let me make it clear. I had sound up to the moment of exporting the wav file. My computer did not crash, only the sound. I burnt the wav file in my music to a cd disc using software that did not require me to hear the sound. When I restored the PC using a restore point I was able to hear the cd that I had recorded.

Ah. I understand.

Did you unplug the turntable as a test?

This symptom doesn’t trigger any ideas. How much drive space do you have?

Start > My Computer > right-click C: > Properties.

While you’re in there, do an error check.

Do you have more than one hard drive?

Koz

Do you know that, for example you played a file in Windows Media Player before export, you could hear it, then you exported and you then could not hear Windows Media Player?

I suggest you unplug the turntable and read the link provided as to why this happens: Audacity Manual . This is the answer in 99 cases out of 100.

Gale