Absence of Line In in devices toolbar

Others have had this problem and it is the absence of :“line in” as the recording source. (Mine is audacity 2.1.0 downloaded to a Lenovo laptop with Windows 8 and attempting to record from a cassette deck ghetto blaster). Have followed the instruction below:

It is common on Vista and later that not all recording inputs are automatically enabled in the main Recording tab. This means they are invisible in that tab, and also invisible to recording applications like Audacity. So you need to make them visible, then enable and make default the main one you want to use, following the steps below.
Recording Settings

1. Right-click anywhere inside the Recording tab and choose “Show disabled devices” then right-click again and check “Show Disconnected Devices”.

However, when in Sounds, the only recording device is Microphone. When I right click on “Show disabled devices” check and do the same for “Show Disconnected Devices”, still no other recording device comes up.

Is there a simple solution??

Line-In if provided is almost always a separate (blue) input alongside the mic input (pink).

Look in your computer manual to see if there is supposed to be a control panel for the sound device where you can change the input from mic to line level.

If not, then you can consider a USB interface with a line level input, like these: http://wiki.audacityteam.org/wiki/Recommended_sound_devices#USB_Interfaces.

Gale

Thanks Gale,

I went through the windows manual and it also discussed USB interface. I did not really know what that meant but a computer shop told me I need an external USB sound card which is probably what you recommended.

Apparently it is all easier with a desktop but even newer ones have this same problem I was told.

Thanks again

The micropbone port on some computers is not only a mono mic port but a “compatible” port that also detects stereo line level input when connected.

These compatible ports generally do not give as good results as a proper stereo line in like you could get from a USB interface.

So you can still try recording cassettes with the microphone (set a very low input level to test, in case it really is only a mono mic port).

Note that you may not get stereo recording even with a compatible port unless you set that port in Windows Sound to stereo. To do that, right-click over the microphone in Windows Sound, choose Properties, then click the “Advanced” tab and look in “Default Format”.

Gale