It’s a WebGL heightmap using the Babylon.js framework. I designed it so that people could generate their own versions just by taking a couple of Audacity screenshots. Let me knock out a quick tutorial and I will post the link here.
Would it be OK to link back here for any comments from the tutorial? (my blog gets swamped by spam)
@dwsubc, Are you able to build C++ applications (such as Audacity) from their source code? If you are, there’s some new experimental scripting features in Audacity that may be of interest (if not, you’ll have to wait until they are ready for release )
Good points. I can’t believe I forgot to reference babylon.js. I have now.
My next step is to try a local build. I switched from C++ to C# a while ago but I could probably still get by. First task will be to add a hide toolbars menu item I then want to try directly converting the spectrogram data into HTML5 3D without the screenshot fudge above. Unless that is already covered by one of your experiments?
The “experimental” feature that I was thinking of is the new “scripting interface”. To use this, the optional module “mod-script-pipe” is required, which must be built on the same day as the Audacity application. There are some potential security issues if running mod-script-pipe on a networked computer, but should be safe on a standalone or adequately firewalled machine. The scripting interface is already being used in-house for automating screen captures for the Audacity manual.
I am working with Audacity for some weeks and i saw your post about this SoundRider plugin! It is exactly what i need for my project but unfortunately after installing the plugin i can’t find it in Effects.
May be you can give me some tipps how you install it?
thank you, this looks great! Unfortunately it’s not working for me, neither with your files nor with mine. When I open Birds 03 Spectrogram I just get the audio, but no image at all. With my own files I only get a thin yellow line, which I can move around, but nothing else.
Any suggestions what might be wrong? Something to do with bablyon.js maybe?
We can’t help you with this. The problem is between the website and the browser - it has nothing to do with Audacity. If you are bothered about it, I’d suggest that you contact the website owner - we can do nothing about this problem.
Thank you, Steve. I understand that. I was hoping to reach out to dwsubc this way, because I could find any contact information on his website. But you’ve already helped me by confirming that it’s not just me!
Other values also work, as long as the second value is higher than the first.
Also you’ll have to invert the “colors” in the grayscale image (“mono.png”) in GIMP (or whatever you’re using), since the brighter a pixel is the higher it is placed on the mesh… Not sure if it would be possible to avoid this by changing something in the code.
So, thanks again for this great idea, dwsubc! Works great for me now.