3.1.0 (other than 3.0.5) imports the same stereo .webm file with OPUS codec differently

Hello Audacity team and users!

Today I updated from 3.0.5 to 3.1.0 and wanted to import a stereo .webm file with OPUS codec (downloaded from YouTube) again that I had imported successfully a few days before on 3.0.5. This time, both channels contain the signal of the left channel. With 3.0.5, it was imported correctly (two different signals on the two channels).

Seems to be a bug. Re-downloaded the file and tried again on 3.0.5 and 3.1.0 again with the same different results.

Thank you for your work, dear Audacity developers!

greetings from Germany


Please try this:

  1. Launch Audacity 3.0.5
  2. Import the .webm file
  3. “Help menu > Diagnostics > Show log” and save the log file

Repeat with Audacity 3.1.0

Attach both files to your reply (see: https://forum.audacityteam.org/t/how-to-attach-files-to-forum-posts/24026/1)

Protokoll305.txt (2.36 KB)

Protokoll310.txt (2.45 KB)

I don’t fully understand it but it seems to me that there’s a problem with the FFMPEG library in 3.1.0. I used the installer version 2.2.2 (x64) which I just uninstalled and reinstalled and then tried again with the same result.

Yes there appears to be a problem with FFmpeg.

Unfortunately there is some important information missing from the 3.1.0 log, so please try this:

  1. Ensure all instances of Audacity are closed.
  2. Launch Audacity 3.1.0
  3. If Audacity prompts to recover a project, recover it.
  4. Quit Audacity. (Important: ensure that Audacity has closed cleanly and is not still running in the background. You may need to check in the Windows Task Manager).
  5. Launch Audacity 3.1.0
  6. “Help menu > Diagnostics > Show log” and save the log file.
  7. Attach the log to your reply.

Protokoll310startup.txt (1.1 KB)

Ok, I did as you told me and this is the result. Actually I noticed, that Audacity doesn’t start most of the time when trying to start it again after closing it. I have to end it through the task manager first everytime.

Yes, this looks strange, and the log is less helpful than it should be. I’ll see if I can find out anything from the developers about this.

Thanks a lot Steve!

I’m just going to pile (it) on saying that I have
the same problem with downloaded YouTube audio
(.opus) opening with only the left channel loaded/
imported (in 2 channels), but opening perfectly fine
in stereo with 2.4.2 through the old Ffmpeg (2014),
(the latest in a separate, other folder for 3.1.0).

Saves me a lot of explanation/ info. already done by DJ00.

Just for the Heck of it, for this post, I imported
a .m4a archived radio file and get the same
monophonic audio there too. If this pertains to
more audio (codecs) I don’t know and am leaving
the experimentation at the present.

Windows 7, Desktop.

Current versions of Audacity are not supported on Windows 7, They may well run - but we can no longer offer support for issues that occur when using Audacity on Windows 7.

I’ve only made a few project edits in the 3.0.2
version due to low disk storage space, but haven’t
had any problems sofar with those, but they’re
all transfers of older projects.
The install of 3.1.0 is quite recent.

Yes, this looks strange, and the log is less helpful than it should be. I’ll see if I can find out anything from the developers about this.

I’ve logged the issue:

Thanks David.