Create audio tape with equally spaced silences

Hello everyone,

I’m new to this forum, so if this is posted in the wrong section or a duplicate thread, my apologies. I’m facing a problem with Audacity and would kindly ask for your help.

Basically what I’m trying to do is create an audio tape, recorded from an application that plays ‘text-to-speech’ audio files one after another. The application I’m using to play these files is Anki and I’m using it to learn a new language. (so audio1 is source language, audio 2 is target language)

So, recording the playback of the Anki application goes fine, however the time interval between different audio files being played is too long (5 seconds), I want to shorten it to 2 seconds. Problem is I cant get it to work properly with Anki, so I thought of solving it in Audacity. What I now have is a recording of audio files, with (silenced) time intervals of 5 seconds. The entire recording would be 30 minutes, so there will be many small audio files and too many time intervals to correct manually.

So, the question is: is there an automatic way to reduce the time of every interval of 5 seconds in the 30 minute recording to intervals of 2 seconds?

Thank you in advance.

See the “Truncate Silence” effect: https://manual.audacityteam.org/man/truncate_silence.html

Marvelous! That is exactly what I was looking for, that is a very quick fix, thanks!

Now I have another question. What I want to do is copy every 2th, 4th, 6th, 8th sound and so on in the recording. So the outcome is that one time the word is read in source language and then twice in the target language.

Is it possible to somehow mass multiply every 2th, 4th, 6th etc? Maybe via adding labels?

Thanks.

I think you will need to repeat them one at a time. However, you could set a keyboard shortcut to the “Repeat” effect, which should help to streamline the process.