low volume distorted recordings

Mac osx 10.8.2 Audacity v. 2.0.2 installed .dmg
Having used Audacity for years on a pc, never had a problem recording anything thru the computer or any external source. Now nothing records properly in Audacity with my mac. I even tried to record an mp3 playing from vlc then thru itunes. Playback in Audacity is horrid. Low volume and distorted. Any suggestions?

Macs do not allow direct recording of audio as it plays on the sound card. See here
http://manual.audacityteam.org/o/man/tutorial_recording_computer_playback_on_mac.html .

If you want part of an MP3 in Audacity, why not use File > Import > Audio, select the part you want, then File > Remove Audio > Trim?

Gale

Thanks for the info. Had no idea macs did not allow recording.

To be clear, Macs do allow recording, but they don’t directly support recording of audio as it plays on the sound card.
For example, if your Mac has a microphone or microphone input, then you can record from that, but you can’t record directly from another program that is playing sounds on the same computer.

What Apple doesn’t allow is a stereo mix input like on Windows which can capture audio already playing on the sound card.

Some programs on Mac (Soundflower and Audio Hijack but not Audacity) can grab the audio from the program that is playing it before it gets to the sound card. Audacity can then record from Soundflower - see the link I gave ( Audacity Manual ) for how to record from Soundflower and other solutions.

Gale