Edit file/menu audacity Windows 8.1

The Edit File/Menu for Audacity on my computer does not feature a “Libraries” option under “Preferences.”
Wondering if the Library option is only available with certain versions?
Thanks–I’ve been trying to install the LAME mp3 but not sure which one I should for 8.1?

Your version of Windows shouldn’t make any differnce. What version of Audacity do you have? The current version is 2.2.2.

Download and run [u]Lame_v3.99.3_for_Windows.exe[/u] to install the special Audacity version of LAME. The next time you start Audacity it should be ready to go and you should be able to export to MP3.

Thanks, I’m not sure what version I have?

“Help menu > About Audacity”
Mine says “Audacity 2.2.2”, which is the current version.

Thanks, it’s 1.2.6

Audacity 1.2.6 has been obsolete for years and is no longer supported.
You can get Audacity 2.2.2 from here: https://www.audacityteam.org/download/

Thanks Steve, I noticed that it was obsolete and have downloaded 2.2.2 :slight_smile:
I’ve downloaded the LAME program for that version as a Zip file, but seems Windows cannot open it (at least on my computer)
Tried to find some youtube tutorials but a lot were made years ago and seem to refer to the obsolete versions of Audacity and LAME.

The “exe” version is easier to install. See: Installing and updating Audacity on Windows - Audacity Manual

Thanks I’ll try that one.
BTW I have one of the USB Cassette Captures from Digitnow, do you know if it works with other programs or is
it exclusively for Audacity?

We are not associated in any way with Digitnow, so I’d assume that the device will work with most audio recorders.

Thanks again :slight_smile: