How to record each step into a macro

I have about1800 clips that I have to create labels for. I am doing the same steps over and over again.

The Parameters are already set for soundfinder @ 40.0, 100.00, 0, 0, 0,
I import the 1st Mp3 file in a sequenced folder,
select audio track name
Press control C,
press enter
select the track,
open analyze menu,
select soundfinder
press enter,
select label track name
Press control V,
press enter,
Open File menu,
select export labels,
press enter,
close both tracks,

Start process over
I import the 2nd Mp3 file in a sequenced folder,
.etc

Start process over
I import the 3rd Mp3 file in a sequenced folder,
.etc
1800 clips

Please help me, these clips are for a project I am creating for humanity.
I can not ask for help, from anyone with this project , because I do not own creativity, creativity expresses through me.

And I am looking for a creative solution, to this repetitive task of1800 files.

PLEASE HELP

I can’t follow that. Can you describe in English words what you’re doing? What are you starting with and what is the product?

There is a caution not to do production with MP3 files. MP3 gets its small, convenient files by cleverly hidden damage and leaving some sounds out. If you make an MP3 from an MP3, the damage gets worse and harder to hide. By the third pass, the sound damage can be pretty serious and can kill a show.

Do you know how to use any of the programming languages? Nyquist?

The obvious choice is create a Macro. They’re pretty simple, but Macros can’t make decisions, and someone will correct me, they can’t call each other, so you can’t slosh actions and processes back and forth between two of them.

Koz

https://manual.audacityteam.org/man/macros.html

Koz

Neither can I.

What does “select audio track name” mean? How are you doing that?

What does that do? It seems that you are copying something and then pressing “Enter”. What are you copying and why press Enter?

A macro can call another macro, though there are not many cases where one would need to do that. You may be confusing this with “Nyquist Macros” that can’t call Nyquist effects.

“Nyquist Macros” that can’t call Nyquist effects.

I believe you. I never got close enough to Nyquist programming to worry about it. My experience with plain Macros is measured in days.

Koz

I described the exact process that anyone would have to use, to accomplish what I am doing. I wrote it had way for clarity.

I am making labels from 1800 audio files with the duration as start and stop and saving them as a text file. It seems obvious to me, that if audacity had a macro recorder built into it, that could record the steps, this could be automated. As long as there was the ability to have the next imported file auto selected, using the recent file history and selecting the next file. They use a macro recorder in notepad++ which works great.
I have a micro step recorder that is portable, but I can not select the next import file, because no file is high lighted, if one was, I could use the down arrow in the micro recording to select the next file, and this process would be automated. What I would like to be able to do, is accomplish this in bulk, there are 1800 files. Does anyone know of an desktop app that can do this?

I already no that this can not be done using macros, but if there was the enter key, control key + C, control key + V, in the macros list,

After I import the file, it is in a track, there is a select button at the bottom left side of the track, I click it, it selects the track, only then can I open soundfiner with the preselected Parameters @ 40.0, 100.00, 0, 0, 0,.

I have to select the track name and copy it, because there is no way to have it named automatically, if track name is selected, it names the file track name and will only record over that file name, it will not create a file named track name 1.

You can apply a macro to multiple files as a batch process, so long as all of the files that you want to process are in the same directory.
More info here: Macros - Audacity Manual

The tricky part of this is that each label text file has to have a unique name.

Batch processing with Audacity is more commonly applied to an audio file, and exports the processed audio file into a “macro output” folder, using the name of the audio track (which takes its name from the name of the imported audio file). Unfortunately there is not an equivalent macro command for exporting label text files.

As you want to export a label track file rather than an audio file, you will need a plug-in to handle the export. Here’s a plug-in that I’ve written for the task:
ExportLabels.ny (1.22 KB)
This is a “Nyquist Plug-in”. Installation instructions are here: https://manual.audacityteam.org/man/installing_effect_generator_and_analyzer_plug_ins_on_windows.html#nyquist_install
(Don’t forget to enable the plug-in after installing it).

When the plug-in has been installed and enabled, it will appear in the “Tools” menu.
I have tested this plug-in with Audacity 3.0.2. It may work with slightly older versions, but not with very old versions. I think it should work OK with Audacity 2.4.2.

You then need to make a macro containing two commands:

1. Sound Finder (or “Label Sounds”)
  2. Export Labels

When you add the commands to the macro, you will also need to “Edit Parameters”.
For the Sound Finder, use the settings that you have decided to use.

For “Export Labels”, the only setting is to select a file to write to. The default file name is “filename.txt”, but that will be changed automatically when the macro runs to match the name of the audio track. All the label text files will be written to the folder that you specify.

I would highly recommend that you test the macro with just a few files first to ensure that it does what you want.
It is usually recommended to batch process no more than about 500 files at a time.

There is nothing in the Export Labels files. But the naming worked perfectly. I so appreciate your help with this.

Which version of Audacity are you using?
Perhaps your Sound Finder settings are not producing any labels.

When I ran the maco soundfinder when I had an imported file in a track, it made the labels, then when I ran the macro export labels, the label info was in the text file. But when I ran the macro that had them both in it, it over wrote the file, but no info in the file. I am using version 3.0.2.

Please Export your macro and attach it to your reply.
See here for how to attach a file: https://forum.audacityteam.org/t/how-to-attach-files-to-forum-posts/24026/1

Please avoid quoting everything in your replies as it makes the posts arduous to read.

It really is time that Audacity drop this Macro shit and use a simpler method for batch processing like those used in Wavepad, Adobe Audition or Isotope RX7. This is why this person can’t make head nor tail of it.

Moderator note: @jrwb - please moderate your language when making Forium posts - we work hard to make this a sane, calm and family-friendly corner of cyber-space. If you continue to use foul or immoderate language you will be banned from this Forum.

Audacity is essentially an audio editor. It also has some advanced features.
Macros, Scripting, Nyquist, and multi-track editing are among it’s advanced features, and may not be suitable for everyone.

For many users, basic audio recording, processing and editing are sufficient to do everything they want.
Some of our users are experts, and require expert features. Audacity provides expert features for these users.

Macros are a relatively recent development in Audacity. They work well, but are not yet very slick, and could be a lot more user friendly. Future versions are likely to become more user friendly, but that will require a lot of difficult development work, testing and documentation from all of the people that contribute to Audacity.

We are happy to try and help you to use macros, but if you don’t provide the information requested of you, we really can’t be much help.