recording though the line in

hi windows 10 64 bits…when you record a 78 don’t you go to the control panel to the sound then look for recording…click on line then go to levels then hit balance…you have 2 sliders in there…this is you adjust the sound right? as i was playing with these 2 sliders i found i can adjust the sound and avoid
chipping…what if i adjust it and record the record i then find the waves are 2 big i have to stop it and reajust it and start again?is there a way to adjust it once and avoid it from occuring?

lenny

Use the [u]Recording Volume slider[/u].

is there a way to adjust it once and avoid it from occuring?

No. If you know the loudest part of the recording you can experiment first. Leave yourself plenty of headroom. Your recording levels are not critical as long as you don’t clip. It’s OK if your peaks hit -6dB (50%) or less. I wouldn’t “worry” unless you’re peaking around -20dB. (Pros generally record around -12 to -18dB , at 24-bits with good quality equipment.) Digital is not like tape where you needed a hot signal to overcome tape noise… There’s no tape noise and you can boost the levels digitally after recording.

I usually check the peaks immediately after recording by running the Amplify effect. Audacity has already pre-scanned your file and Amplify will default to whatever gain is needed to hit 0dB. For example, if Amplify defaults to +3dB, the current peak is -3dB. If Amplify defaults to 0dB (no change) your recording is probably clipped. You can cancel the effect after checking if you wish, and this “trick” only works before applying amplify or any other effects.

I don’t think there’s a balance control for recording. And, make sure to select line-in as your [u]Recording Device[/u]. (There are options for recording what’s coming out of the soundcard and playback-balance will affect that.)

78’s are mono anyway so balance doesn’t matter. There are some advantages to recording in “stereo” (both channels from the cartridge). You can convert to true-mono later if you wish.

thanks doug…

ok I recorded an lp that as I was recording it it had a lot of clipping…it might have been an independent label but there was alot of clipping…how do i fix that?re record it at a lower setting and
where do i do this?

lenny

Transferring LPs is a challenge because the vinyl clicks and pops may appear as overload and clipping damage. If you record to faithfully accommodate them, then the music may be too low.

Last time I did it, I played the loudest part of the record and made sure no part of the show got any closer than about 6dB to 10dB of maximum, pretty much the same recommendation as for live voice recording.

https://manual.audacityteam.org/man/how_to_set_up_audacity.html#monitor

I ignored the pops because they will go away with post production processing.

Koz

thanks sir

ok I recorded an lp that as I was recording it it had a lot of clipping…it might have been an independent label but there was alot of clipping…how do i fix that?re record it at a lower setting and
where do i do this?

Yes, record at a lower level. Typically the analog-to-digital converter is what’s being [u]clipped[/u].

You didn’t tell us anything about your analog setup, but it might be best to lower the analog level if you have that capability (often you can’t). Otherwise, use the Audacity Recording Volume Slider.

…With some soundcards you can’t adjust the line-input down to zero and sometimes it won’t go low enough to prevent clipping. In that case you can use an attenuator. You can get [u]fixed attenuators[/u], but you may need a set of multiple-different attenuators, or you can get a [u]variable attenuator[/u].