Record Skype call directly with Audacity?

Hello to all. I am new to audacity (though getting ok with it) and new to podcasting. I am expanding my podcast to include remote interviews. I’ve looked into, and tried, many options but haven’t really settled on any that I’m crazy about. There is a lot of software out there that lets you record your call and it’s easy to upload it to Audacity, but the sound quality is always lacking and controlling the recording levels is never quite right. I’ve tired configuring with a digital recorder but this is proving a bit complex. So I am wondering about simply recording the call directly with Audacity.

I’ve done some research and tried to apply some of the ideas, but they don’t seem to work with my configuration - a straight ASPIRE laptop, Windows 10. I use a Samson and a Yeti for my mics and I’ve been trying configurations with them, but they aren’t quite working either.

So if someone has some ideas regarding the easiest possible way to do record the entire conversation with Audacity, or alternatively incorporate one of the mics into the mix, I’d be very interested. And I’d really appreciate it.

Thanks!

Monte

By default, Windows can only record from one thing at a time and Audacity can’t get-around that. Pamela for Skype is popular for recording Skype.

There is a lot of software out there that lets you record your call and it’s easy to upload it to Audacity, but the sound quality is always lacking and controlling the recording levels is never quite right.

Unless something is “wrong” the software doesn’t affect the quality of the recording. The recording software simply captures the digital audio stream from the drivers and sends it to your hard drive. (Things can “go wrong” digitally, especially when multitasking such as running Skype… I think Pamela may have some special drivers and/or special-large buffers to eliminate/minimize glitches.)

a straight ASPIRE laptop, Windows 10. I use a Samson and a Yeti for my mics and I’ve been trying configurations with them, but they aren’t quite working either.

I assume you have no control over the far-side of the recording…

Usually the biggest issue is noise. Noise is an analog/acoustic issue. It starts with acoustic room noise. You need to make your “studio” as quiet as possible. Then speak loudly and clearly into the front of your directional mic for the best possible signal-to-noise ratio.

The preamp will also generate some noise. With USB mics the preamp is built-into the mic and sometimes noise gets in through the USB power. Some computers have less noise on the USB power than others so sometimes a different computer can make it better or worse.

Your digital recording levels are not critical. The most important thing is that you don’t overload (clip) your analog-to-digital converter. (The ADC is also built-into a USB mic.) If the recording levels are too low you can boost after recording. The acoustic & analog levels can be important because a stronger signal gives you a better signal-to-noise ratio.

Thank you, this is very informative. In fact, the biggest problem I seem to have is what you allude to in your last paragraph - the clipping. This is where I’m having the biggest problem, and since I’m not suing a mic or audacity, I’m having trouble bringing down the recording levels, or even the gain. That’s actually one of the main reasons I thought I might find a way to record directly with Audacity. The problem is mainly on my part more than the other person…