Can't hear beat while trying to record vocals

I am trying to record vocals over a beat, but when i plug the mic in I can no longer hear the beat (i have “play other tracks while recording new one” checked). Obviously its impossible to record vocals when you are unable to hear the beat. Anyone know whats wrong? How can i hear the beat??? Thanks

What mic do you have and how are you connecting it to the computer? Could it be that you’re accidentaly connecting the mic to the headphone output? The mic socket on the computer is usually pink.

What operating system and which audacity version? Desktop PC or laptop?

maaaaaan im having the same problem. everything is plugged up right, it all does what its supposed to do except when i go to record i cant hear the beat… which is a pretty important part of what i do… if anybody thinks they can help hit me up here or at gnik_bizzle at hotmail dot com :confused:

Moderator note: we do not encourage help by email, nor posting your email address publicly on the forum, where it can be easily caught by spam bots (I’ve “disguised” it to avoid that). You can subscribe this topic so that you get email notifications if anyone posts a reply.

Do you have overdub on? (Transport menu)

Are you using an usb mic?

Which device have you set as the playback device? (Preferences → Devices)

I do have overdub on. Yes, i also am using a USB mic on a Windows 10 laptop. I also have the playthrough on, my stuff is all plugged in correctly. When I go to watch a YouTube video via headphones I can hear clearly. When I enter back to Audacity it’s the same thing all over again, this problem started two days ago. Can I pleeaaassssseeeee get a response I need heeeelllllppppp.

Are you aware that you are replying to an 8 year old topic?

steve wrote:

Are you aware that you are replying to an 8 year old topic?

I do. Is that a problem?

It is if you are expecting anyone on this thread to reply. The participants have not visited this forum in years.

steve wrote:

It is if you are expecting anyone on this thread to reply. The participants
have not visited this forum in years.
Except you Steve. Except you. I’ll leave though.