Simultaneous vertical zoom in spectrogram view

Hi,
In version 2.0.6 there was a feature for simultaneous vertical zoom in spectogram view for every track in the project (see the attached)
And in recent versions it doesn’t exist.
It is a very useful feature, at least in my kind of work and it makes me still use the 2.0.6.
Am I missing something?
Is it possible to bring it back in future version?
Capture.JPG

• “Ctrl + P” (or “Edit menu > Preferences” to open Preferences)
  • Go to the “Spectrogram” settings, and make your changes there.

Unless you have changed any of the tracks to use per-track settings, all tracks will update to the new settings.

Thanks a lot for the reply, but that’s not exactly what I asked.

Assume that I have several tracks open, when I’m zooming in/out vertically in spectogram (frequency axis) on one of the tracks, the zooming is performed on that specific track only, while in 2.0.6 version the zooming was performed on all tracks together and simultaneously.

but it’s as close as you can get with later version of Audacity.

In old versions of Audacity, all tracks have the same spectrogram settings and it is impossible to set different settings per track.
By popular demand, Audacity now has per-track settings. Either a track uses the global “Preference” setting, or it’s own track setting.

Hi Steve,

thanks again for the reply.
I think I’m not explaining myself correctly.
In the Spectrogram preferences, there are fixed settings such as Window size, Gain, etc.,
Zooming is a feature that is used when the tracks are open and the area of zoom can be changed dynamically.
I can zoom to 0-1KHz or 5K-8K for example or any other.
It is not set in the settings.
in the older versions, it was done simultaneously for all opened tracks (see the image as an example) and now it is only for one, while others stay fixed, and I need to zoom one by one into all tracks, which is not accurate and time-consuming.
I couldn’t find an option to do it simultaneously for all tracks in the recent Audacity versions.
In my opinion, it was a very useful feature that missing from recent versions (or I just can’t find how to do it correctly).
Thanks again for the time taking to answer my questions.

prefs.png

Yes, I know this option, but it will change these settings for all audacity projects and that’s not the goal.
In a specific project, I can zoom into different frequency ranges using the mouse over the frequency axis, without the need to go to preferences.
But again it can only be done for only one track at once, while in older Audacity when I was zooming in/out in one track, all the tracks were updated to the exact same range

I have moved this topic to the “Adding Features” section of the forum.

Recent versions of Audacity do not have the ability to zoom the spectrogram of multiple tracks at the same time, other than as I described (using the Preference settings). That ability disappeared when the ability to zoom the spectrogram of one track at a time was added.

I do see that the feature that you are requesting could be useful in some situations, though, perhaps surprisingly, this is the first post that I’ve seen to request the old behaviour in all the years that per-track zooming has been present.

First of all thanks a lot for the patience and answering, it is much appreciated.
It is surprising to me what you said about the first time since in my work (audio algorithm developing) it is a very useful feature.
Hopefully, it will be added in future versions.

Thanks a lot again.

Just a thought - Are you familiar with Audacity’s “Advanced Vertical Zooming” controls?
If not, take a look here: https://manual.audacityteam.org/man/vertical_zooming.html#advanced

Yes, I’m using it. Thanks.

Hi Steve,

do you know if this feature we talked about a year ago will be added to a future version?

As I wrote previously, the ability to zoom vertically in all tracks can be done from Preferences, and the ability to zoom the spectrogram vertically in a single track can be done from the track’s context menu. I’m not aware of any plans to change this.

It “should” be possible to create a Nyquist plug-in to zoom in/out for all tracks, but unfortunately it isn’t possible due to this bug: Scripting: "SetPreference:" fails with track spectrogram settings · Issue #1599 · audacity/audacity · GitHub Hopefully that bug will be fixed eventually.