Sample WAV file evaluation requested

Neewer mic arm/boom is wrapped with some thick interfacing material.

There’s another fuzzy rule of thumb there. Tap it with a pencil. If it makes a recognizable noise, then soundproof it, particularly if it’s close to the microphone. The Neewer mic arm/boom is spring loaded and I expect it will ring like a bell if you smacked it. So soundproofing is good.

My mic boom is a counterweighted type with no springs.
Screen Shot 2016-08-05 at 5.50.53 AM.png
So it just makes dead sound when hit, but it takes a lot more room.

Koz

Feeling obsessive?

Tap that lamp where the light comes out. If it sounds like a cow bell and it’s a type of lamp that doesn’t get hot (or buzz), pop a couple of heavy rubber bands around it

Thanks for the image.

Koz

Hi Koz,

You can always make me giggle. Don’t get me wrong, I sincerely appreciate your input/comments, as I find them hugely valuable, I just get a kick out of your wit and delivery. :slight_smile:

I’ve made yet another change. Yes, OK, maybe I’m obsessive . . . though I think it’s genetic! Ha! Ha! I raised my mic and have decided to record standing up. I do feel that my voice and breath are better that way. I removed the interfacing from the mic arm and all is still well. I don’t appear to have any issues with my light with having an LED bulb in it. I forgot to answer your earlier question about my laptop and fan noise. It is a Lenovo (IBM) Thinkpad. Just happens to be very, very quiet. :slight_smile:

Tried out my headphones and am very pleased. Hope to hunker down tomorrow and get serious about finalizing any tweaks and hopefully start recording my audio samples for ACX.

Hope you have a super weekend. I’ll keep you posted on my progress. As always, take good care!

Sheila

I do feel that my voice and breath are better that way.

Many people agree. Lots of formal presenting is done standing up. However, that might be a stretch the second or third volume of a book.

This is my system—super early view, before widescreen monitor, killer sound system and debris.

Note the stand-up desk and tall chair which can be used fully seated, standing, or a combination. On long presentations, TV shows, or movies, I’ve been known to use a half butt-cheek squat rather than fully seated or standing. It’s life-changing. Really.

I would never go back to a fully seated desk. I’m collecting part numbers for tall lawn furniture; tables and chairs. They are made.

Koz

Good morning Koz,

I really like your desk! Your chair theory makes sense. I had thought of maybe getting a stool - then I, too, could perhaps use your “half butt cheek” method! :slight_smile: Seriously, though, I can see where that could be handy. Maybe I’ll give it more consideration if I land any real assignments. :slight_smile:

So, I’m curious - or you may say just down right nosey. :slight_smile: How many years have you done voiceover work, and what all types do you do?

Hope you’re having a great Saturday morning. As always, take good care. And thanks for sharing your pic!

Sheila

How many years have you done voiceover work

That would be zero. My hat says engineer. Many of my illustrations are from shoots where I was the recording engineer. That podcast sound clip? That was an engineering test.

That’s why in general, I say away from comments on voice quality or theatrical presentation. Not my thing.

However, if you’re having trouble sleeping, I’ll explain, in detail, how a microphone works.

Koz

The desk is an Ikea Jerker® (pronounced “yurkah”), unfortunately, no longer supplied. The chair is an Ikea folding, black Franklin®, still very much a current product.

http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/40199211/

Koz

Ahhhhhhh . . . so, you are an “audio geek”? :slight_smile: I do sincerely hope you take that as a compliment. I worked in Information Systems for about 11 years, so I took it as a compliment if someone thought I was being a “geek”.

By the way, I think I may have ended up with a worthwhile recording today to use as one of my audio samples. Truth be told, I played with the the software and practiced for several hours this morning . . . up until lunch. But when that was done, it was too gorgeous of a day to not get out in it, so I packed it in and headed outdoors! Tomorrow is another day! I’m having fun and learning too . . . two of my most favorite things in life. :slight_smile:

Hope you are having a fantastic weekend! I’m sure we’ll be in touch. Take care Koz!

Sheila