RMS for each file must measure between -23dB and -18dB

I am using Windows 10, and Audacity 3.1.3 (which I downloaded today to ensure I had the latest options).

I am considering recording an audio version of my own book. Like MaryEllllen I am aiming to meet Findaway’s requirements. I had no problems setting the bit rate and sample rate. Everything else looks straightforward except:
“RMS for each file must measure between -23dB and -18dB”

How can I tell what the RMS of a whole file is, and if a file fails this test, what can I do about it?

Thank you!

The [u]Recommended Audiobook Process[/u] will nail your peak & RMS levels every time. (Meeting the noise requirements can be trickier.)

This is an overview from a recent similar post.

https://forum.audacityteam.org/t/trying-to-get-things-right-for-acx-submission/38743/19

It’s written for Audible/ACX, but the problems and solutions are similar.

The three tools in Mastering should be taken in order as they depend on, and clean up after each other. Don’t add any tools or leave any out.

Mastering is handy even if you’re not reading for audiobooks as the resulting voice files can be successfully submitted almost anywhere else.

As mentioned in that post, nobody does theatrical evaluation any more, so there’s no way to tell ahead of time that your speaking style is unacceptable until after you read the whole book, submit, and fail.

Do post a voice sample here when you get that far.

https://www.kozco.com/tech/audacity/TestClip/Record_A_Clip.html

Koz

Their requirements are the same as Audible/ACX.

Screen Shot 2022-01-06 at 07.18.21.png
And as with ACX, their company has to do primarily with generating promotion and publicity and managing your business. Actually recording the product (sound files) is waaaay down at the bottom of the presentation.

We had one of the ACX representatives on the forum for a while and eventually gave up because we were constantly talking past each other.

Us: Voice quality, MP3 submission, evaluation, noise level.
Him: Getting noticed, listings in ads, promoting your name, sales.

I haven’t been through the whole web page yet, but so far, no mention of human quality control—or any on-line testing

It did get my attention in the dog and pony show that the company isn’t fully operational yet???

Koz