Record Mic and Computer Sound Simultaneously

It’s not the best way to do it. You lose quality on the background music and you cannot edit the voice and background music separately. Your cough gets recorded into the music.

Assuming your background is a music file, import it into Audacity, turn on Transport > Overdub if it isn’t already, then record your voice while Audacity plays the file to you. See Audacity Manual .

If you were playing a CD, extract the tracks to WAV thus: Audacity Manual .

If you must record music and background at the same time, right-click over the speaker icon by the system clock, then choose “Recording Devices”. Right-click over the FastTrack then choose “Properties”. Then click the “Listen” tab and send the FastTrack (mic) to your built-in sound device. Then stereo mix will record your voice and the music mixed together.

Note that the mic will inevitably record about 1/10 th of a second or more after you speak into it because you have to wait for Windows to route the input to the built in playback device. That’s another reason not to do this.

If you had another cable and you don’t mind the music being mono you could also (I think) run a cable from audio out (green) of your computer to the instrument input of the FastTrack, then simply record both voice and music from FastTrack.

If I were you I would overdub :wink:

Gale