Help getting dialed in for ACX specs

experience with a reflection filter in conjunction with SM7b?

Mechanical device or software? Few software products can seamlessly and gracefully get rid of echoes and that’s what a live room is.

The SM7b is a directional microphone. You can aim the back of the microphone at wherever the worst sound problems are and make them vanish. You can’t aim it at the whole room.

Koz

Missed one. You should submit to ACX in Mono (one blue wave) and not stereo (two blue waves). It’s possible your recording system really, really, really likes to capture in stereo, and trying to subvert that need can cause problems.

You can use Tracks > Mix > Mix Stereo Down to Mono. Do that before mastering in case you really do have stereo and the left and right tracks are slightly different. I have a recorder which does that. That mixdown can sometimes help a little with noise because the voice is more or less the same on both tracks, but the noise is different and will partially cancel.

ACX will accept work in stereo, but then your whole book needs to be in stereo and the show takes up double the storage for no good reason.

Koz

Re: ACX check- that’s the plugin I’m using to verify parameters. Right now I’m only auditioning to narrate/produce. I’m recording in Mono for sure, for the reasons you stipulate. Same with room tone, definitely got that memo.

Re: SM7b- that’s one of the big reasons I got it. I am currently aiming the back at an acoustically gross corner of the room. There’s still some tone I’d like to warm up/round edges on, which is why I was looking for a mechanical reflection filter, leading to the kitchen booth you linked yesterday. I think I may build my own, I just need to figure out the setup at my desk for comfort/convenience during 8+ hour recording days. SM7b doesn’t feel like the friendliest mic to utilize desktop with a booth-to-go type deal. Also I’m 6’7" and that unfortunately has to be factored in. May have to get another mic stand and figure out a standing solution.

Also, yes, this forum drove me to get the SM7b and cloudlifter year before last. I think most of the issues I’m having are either from mic technique or lack of sound dampening in the room.

Thanks again for the chats and your efforts. Offer stands re: vo

Thanks for the offer.

The Kitchen Table Sound Studio design was the sweet spot for “convenience,” price, and easy availability. Depending on where you live, you can assemble a passably good recording environment with no tools and very little money. It’s the answer to the current acoustic horror of polished wooden floor, bare walls and shiny white ceiling.

Someone looked at the desirable characteristics for good recording and designed an exact opposite room. That room also features another odd acoustic trick. There can be two people at opposite sides of that room speaking to each other and be perfectly loud but not be able to understand each other from the smooching effect of the echoes.

But you don’t have to build it for your kitchen table. One forum poster built a larger version.

You can get significant tonal changes with a shiny hard desk. Note the furniture moving pad on the table. This can be particularly important if you plan on shifting between sitting and standing.

Don’t leave out the floor. That’s my portable studio with a doubled-over moving pad on the floor.

That’s one sound wall kit.

And one partially constructed wall showing one blanket of two.

And etc, etc.

The local Harbor Freight had a sale.

HarborFreightBlanket.JPG
There’s a fuzzy rule for placement. If you’re not going to soundproof everything, hit one of each opposing surfaces. For example, west wall, north wall and floor. You’ll still have a live room, but it will stop sounding like a kitchen.

And yes, there’s nothing handy about the SM7b. It’s a big microphone.

I assume you already have your boom mic stand picked out. I’m using an OnStageStands 9701B that collapses into the back of my closet.

Heavy microphones can be accommodated.

Koz

But wait! There’s more!

Anything with an electronic screen can make noises.

This is over and above turning off the ringer, defeating notifications, activating Airplane Mode, shutting down WiFi, etc. All these cause either electronic interference or sound competition. I wanted to find out if the screen could make electronic radiation noises. Nobody is expecting that.

Koz