Audacity Stops Working While Exporting

Assume you’re watching it the instant it dies. What does the screen look like? I’m not on windows, but do you get a crawling worm or thermometer as a progress bar? Can you see the hard drive light at the same time? Does that suddenly go nuts just as the export fails?

It’s not likely, but possible that your virus protection is becoming overwhelmed. Can you disconnect your internet, suspend your virus protection and try that.

If you have 2T free, how big is the drive? We of the video persuasion found a while ago that having a gi-normous system drive isn’t a good thing. You want a very large data drive to store your stuff, but the operating system should run on a much smaller drive for efficiency. 100GB-200GB. Trying to throw a hard drive actuator arm from one side of a 3TB drive to the other and have it land accurately, is not an easy task.

Have you error checked and defragmented the drive?

Koz

Oh, there is one more. Under certain circumstances Audacity will try to save music in the Applications location. Are you pointing Audacity to a specific, correct, graceful location? Koz

It’s a 3 TB drive, segmented into smaller, logical drives. I’m not sure if that does anything for the HD reader arm, or not.

When the export fails, all I see is a time elapsed/remaining window on the screen. Then it immediately shifts to a window telling me the export failed. I haven’t watched the HD light yet, but I will. I’m saving the output file to C:Windowsuserleeimages. Is that supposed to work?

Here’s the dump of Event Viewer:

audacity.exe
4fe8e10a
lame_enc.dll
4ef7eb29
c0000005
0001af2b
c00
01cd5deef4ee0970
C:Program FilesAudacityaudacity.exe
C:Program FilesLame For Audacitylame_enc.dll
7f814a05-c9e2-11e1-97dc-0019d103685d

With 2 TB free on the C: partition? :confused:

So where/what is the “0XC0000005” error?

We’re not getting a very clear picture.

I have only a 1TB partition on the C drive, with some of used, but there’s still plenty of space.

The 0000005 error occurs right in the midst of using the lame module. Event Viewer won’t let me copy the main window, only “details” will. I’ll try to get a picture of the desktop in the main Event Viewer window.

It’s a 3 TB drive, segmented into smaller, logical drives.

That’s not a solution. That’s a problem. That gives you two isolated drives each with half the speed of one. That’s terrific for spreadsheets and Photoshop pictures, but terrible for entertainment editing. It doubles the failure rate and if either partition fails, the whole thing goes into the trash. In other forums we strongly discourage the use of partitions in this manner, or, indeed at all. Unless you have security or drive access/address space issues, partitioning doesn’t buy anything good.

That may not be what this particular problem is, but it is a problem. Do the drives pass an error test from Properties?

Koz

I disagree, but it’s unlikely to relevant so we can save this discussion for another day :wink:

I have a 325G external HD. Is that preferable?